Google Removing Maps Redirect for Windows Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

diddo

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
I hope Google will not check Maps layout on IE.
Maybe this time MS will start deploying a decent rendering engine instead of the current one that is happily raping webmaster's layouts since 1995...

abbadon_34

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Since their recent close call with anti-trust/monopoly regulators, they are going full steam ahead. Normally I wouldn't care, but Microsoft still hasn't recovered (nor has the world economy) from the Clinton Justice Deparment anti-trust investigation at the height (creating the bust) of the tech bubble, and the Europeans are still focused on Microsoft as if Internet Explorer is the only browser in the world. Fair is fair, and the close google become to a public utility, they closer they should face the same scrutinty.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Don't know why Google did this in the first place. Not like Windows Phone is a threat, and the bad press they got outweighs any detrimental effect this move may have had on the competition.

ingtar33

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
need to check your sources tom's... i read the original article, the author admits error with his report. Users were mistaking the Bing redirect for being Google Maps for years on windows phones (because bing maps is a cheap knock off i guess that makes sense)... google maps has never been available on windows phones. The original article made windows phone users realize that they couldn't get maps, and were being redirected to Bing... they mistakenly thought this was a new thing, and as a result the net was flooded with a fake controversy.

robholden

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
[citation][nom]ingtar33[/nom]need to check your sources tom's... i read the original article, the author admits error with his report. Users were mistaking the Bing redirect for being Google Maps for years on windows phones (because bing maps is a cheap knock off i guess that makes sense)... google maps has never been available on windows phones. The original article made windows phone users realize that they couldn't get maps, and were being redirected to Bing... they mistakenly thought this was a new thing, and as a result the net was flooded with a fake controversy.[/citation]

That's wrong, Google have admitted that they have recently added a redirect against all users how navigate to maps.google.com (or in fact any local google domain, co.uk, .fr etc), previously users could navigate to google maps (no matter how bad the experience actually was)...

What google have stated though is that they have never officially supported maps on windows phone, but did not previously actively block anything.

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
With great power comes great responsibility , Google has been a good high power to have along .This move reminds me of Apple .

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Back in 2005, I had an HP iPAQ 6945 running Windows Phone 5. It supported google maps, using a downloadable program from Google that provided all of the functionality available on the desktop web version at that time. The number of units of this device in the marketplace must have been smaller than the number of Windows 8 phones, and yet they wrote code for it. Here, they're blocking access to a web site? Come on, Google... do no evil.

kellybean

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
And the convicted monopolist MS is is white as the wind driven snow. IE has never complied with the WEB standards and they had to bribe the committee to get their Office format a ISO standard.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
If Google was going to redirect MS phone browsers because of poor performance than they should make some kind of redirect on their Andriod phones for the POS Google Search they put on my Nexus S. That is about the slowest damn thing I have ever seen.

Starting to get sick of Google one bit at a time.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
I watched a video of someone who got the google maps to run on a windows phone by hacking the phone to tell google it was an HTC android phone. It worked fine. But, then again, so does Bing (7/7.5) and Nokia Maps (8)

k7mm

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
I think this is like IE defaulting to MSN.

I think the best thing Microsoft could have done is break itself up.
OS in one company, Apps and services like office another company, and everything else like Xbox to another company.

Status
Not open for further replies.