Google Retracts After Caught Stealing Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

This is such a stupid article. Campfire's chat app is a *minimalist* chat client. OF COURSE the features will be replicated. There's only so many ways to put together a text box, a send button, and a place for the text to show up as history.

G

I agree, as more more apps go towards the web 2.0 'style' there is only going to be so many ways to display content. Eventually content and functions will start looking like everyone elses. I would have a problem if they 'forked' the code and used as their own, but it appears they built their own code using HuddleChat has a template for functions they wanted. I have no problem with that. It's been so many times before. You only have to look at MAC/PC OS and see that they 'borrow' from each other.

gxsolace

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
they wouldn't have pulled the app if they thought the blogsphere was wrong. obviously goog thinks that the complaints are warranted, hence huddleChat gets pulled. If it were MS doing the same thing, everyone would be up in arms. Just cuz its google doesnt mean ppl should turn a blind eye.

G

Artical Title is "Google Retracts After Caught Stealing Ideas"
Live Bookmark Title is "Google Caught Stealing App From ..."

Im thinking this is all being a little to biases against google.

Rancifer7

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
It could be a case of cryptonesia. One of the developers saw campfire and used it briefly then when they went to write their own much later unknowingly borrowed the ideas of the other program. happens all the time in many fields. But without looking at the code, it would be hard to say for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.