Google Says Gmail is Eco-Friendly, Greens Your IT

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Using Gmail also means that all of your personal conversations and associated media dwell within a giant database that is freely shared with governmental agencies. Remember all information passed through the cloud is considered property of the cloud...

G

The only difficulty in this move is that Google Apps, including Gmail and Docs are inaccessible to the blind who use sccreen readers. Enterprises who adopt the Google products will alienate Their blind employees or eliminate the possibility of recruting good, talented, and otherwise well-qualified blind aplicants.

dread_cthulhu

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
With cloud storage, will come the encryption wars... Every business that decides to opt for cloud storage will begin using proprietary encryption methods prior to storage... Or so I think, lol.

G

Well, nice that they are starting to think about the ecology a little bit. Of course, someone should be asking Google how much of the landfills near their data centers are filled with the cheap motherboards that swap out constantly instead of using less failure prone components (Google will understand the question).

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Yes I am sure this is why Google uses cloud servers, they truly care about the environment.

Reminds me of my office. We use glass cups because it's more environmentally friendly. The truth is of course, they are saving lots of money be not having to buy paper cups.

Where sometimes things can be mutually beneficial, it's all about money in the end. At least don't try and brag about how "green" you are.

juanc

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
That puts Toms on one heavy CO2 generator because it makes us use a lot of bandwith on nonsense news, and that's overhead on the server and the client side.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Strange, i remember reading that using the google search engine releases as much CO2 as is released by heating a kettle of water. And i mean every time you hit the search button (or press "enter" if someone's going to say that :p )

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
This is from 2.5 years ago:

"Recently, though, others have used much higher estimates, claiming that a typical search uses "half the energy as boiling a kettle of water" and produces 7 grams of CO2. We thought it would be helpful to explain why this number is *many* times too high. Google is fast — a typical search returns results in less than 0.2 seconds. Queries vary in degree of difficulty, but for the average query, the servers it touches each work on it for just a few thousandths of a second. Together with other work performed before your search even starts (such as building the search index) this amounts to 0.0003 kWh of energy per search, or 1 kJ. For comparison, the average adult needs about 8000 kJ a day of energy from food, so a Google search uses just about the same amount of energy that your body burns in ten seconds."

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Crap of shit! Can't you google people think of anything else to trick us into going up to your own ideas of the kingdom of the Cloud. This is so easy to see through & I ain't no idiot greens supporter & never will be.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
The greens movement in Australia,particularly New South Wales have been calling on those islamic extremists to talk for them at local town halls,such as at Newtown area. This is what I guess that google & others may do to try to attract people to go to the kingdom of the Cloud.

Status
Not open for further replies.