Google Sheet Replace Function

XAKEP

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
Hi guys I have a question. I am trying to do the following:

I am scanning SCU Bar codes all day long and I am trying to make Google Sheets to replace specific set of numbers in to Specific Description.

Example:

When I Scan a bar code and it's 0000001 I want sheets automatically replace this zeros and one to "PRODUCT ONE"

Same thing with when I scan bar code and I get 0000002 I want sheets to change that to "PRODUCT TWO" and so one and so far. In my understanding in Excel this is called Replacement function. But I have no idea on how to get this done in Google Sheets. I want to create Blank sheet with all formulas and replacements and just use copy of it all the time.

Can anyone please help me out on how to get this done. I have around 150 SCUs and I'd love to make this database replace function once and every time I scan instead of numbers I want to have actual product name.

Thank you so much !!!

Yes that is the intention of such functions: spreadsheet or database.

Quite commonly used. The trickier part is to obtain and enter the scanned barcode as a readable value that is then, in turn, used to find its matching name in the table.

Should be part of the barcode reader/scanners software and should provide some options with respect to the barcodes schemes that can be read and thus intrepreted.

Check with the barcode scanners manufacturer: Forums, FAQ, technical support. They may be able to provide some suggested or sample code.

May need a small bit of programming thrown in. Here is a link that will provide some insight:

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/166957-Scanning-into-Excel

Realize that the example is Excel but I would expect that general idea will be much the same in Google Sheets

XAKEP

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
Oho boy it really a lot harder than I previously tough. I simply can find simple solution to my problem. It's too complicated. I thought I'll be able to get something like if you see "abcd" in specific box put "1234" instead in to same box. I see in google like 50 lines of code that I have no understanding what it means or where do I put my own values.