Google Suspends Android Wallpaper Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Turns out that Lookout was probably overzealous. The Developer wrote to Android Central and explained why he sent the phone Id and screensize. He was using it to store the users favorites and send the correct size wallpapers.

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
and this is also good for those who dont use data :p and only install apps that are useful... still feel sorry for all those who d/l such innocent apps to only be told later they collected more private info then they should be...

tbh this is getting out of hand standardization should be made and only controlled data should be allowable to any app IMO

so some joe cant just create some cheap useless app that some how the masses fall for and then gather all kinds of private data

awood28211

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
I'm very careful and had to instruct my girlfriend to be very careful when downloading apps. If she's downloading solitaire and it says it can make phone calls then it's prolly not something I want put on her phone...since I pay the bill.

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
My question is (And I really don't know so help me out)why do most of these apps out there need all that info? I mean, why does a video game need GPS and phone info for example? I can understand layar or google maps for example. But a wallpaper app needs all of this info? What for?

smashley

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
Yeah, as much as I hate apple, there needs to be a reveiw process for apps. With rules such as it's not allowed to collect information that isn't strictly required. I'm no programmer, but I'd say for wallpaper that would be screen dimensions and maybe device model, but nothing more specific than that.

i7Rocks

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
Keep living in your bubble, most people I know enjoy freedom and with that freedom comes a certain level of responsibility. Sure there will be the few malicious people who intend to do harm, its the price we pay for freedom. You should seriously consider moving .

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I don't think anyone cares that apps are verified. I do believe people care that they are "censored".

I wish I were a genius like you as the Iphone has "never" had a virus.

/sarcasm

G

Now someone’s reputation is ruined. Kudos for the abuse of power you media types. Whatever happened to fact check?

Same thing back when the Aurora attack happened. Some blog said “Chinese fingerprint” and everyone jumped on it. Turned out the 4-bit nibble CRC code came from 25 year old Novell programming guide.

And there’s no effort to undo the damage that’s done. We basically can say anything about “Red Commie China” with impunity.

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
…the app collected information such as the device’s phone number, subscriber identifier, and the currently entered voicemail number on the phone.
It seems a few criticizers of the "damage" done by this finding forgot about this part, and how the information got sent to China. That all seems like a bit more than simple "Phone Info" to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.