Google Talking Ice Cream Sandwich, Nexus Right Now

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
Does it makes phone calls? How is battery life and signal overall?

Come on, it's a phone before everything else!

Cheers!

thomasjm52

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
You guys all want bigger screens so when its in your pocket the ladies think your passion in your pants is bigger! IMO our carriers pull these phones down with their slow speeds and poor signals!

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
That 3+ year old GPU just costed them a sale... samsung had enough time to make a whole new SoC with SGX554(dec 2010 release) or SGX544 (June 2010). Using this paltry OMAP 4 stuff is sad, could have at least used Exonys, even that is better.

I wonder if I can just find Samsung Galaxy S II HD LTE, put ICS on it and sell my ip4 and original samsung galaxy s II I have... hmm seems like a better idea.

Sad face google... thats all you get from me for this. GJ on the ICS though.

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]It's a disapointment. It comes with a TI OMAP4460, so the GPU is indeed the PowerVR SGX540, the same GPU that came with the old Galaxy S II.[/citation]
That is Galaxy S..not 2.

hmolleta

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Every one must pay attention, couse Google SmatPhone has never been the top spec!!!
normaly it's a event to show new OS and Design!!!

The powerful SmartPhone probably came in a few weeks by Samsung/HTC

sirius100

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]Camera - iPhone has the best phone camera on the market.[/citation]

Hmm yeah, you really aren't a tech nerd if you think this is true. Next time try not to get your facts from an Apple bullepoints. Clue: the best phone camera on the market is not on an Android phone either.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Love reading the people praising this phone who were bashing the iphone in every other thread! Your flagship hardware for nerddroid is weaker than not only the gs2, but also the iphone 4s.

To make it better, the crap OS FAILED during the demo, hahaha!

Really, really pathetic.

istank

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
The nexus line has never been top of the line for hardware just like the iPhone. This phone is showcasing ICS, a pure android OS with no third part UI overlays (sense, motoblur). It is about as pure and streamlined and you can get with android at the moment. The CPU/GPU is lacking but will perform wonders running AOSP.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
[citation][nom]istank[/nom]The nexus line has never been top of the line for hardware just like the iPhone. This phone is showcasing ICS, a pure android OS with no third part UI overlays (sense, motoblur). It is about as pure and streamlined and you can get with android at the moment. The CPU/GPU is lacking but will perform wonders running AOSP.[/citation]

That didn't stop all the droidnerds from trolling every iphone article about how much better this phone was going to be. Android 4 on paper looks ok, but this phone is inferior to the iPhone 4s hardware-wise.

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
Yea, having both the Face Recognition and Quick Response features fail to work during a live demo was NOT GOOD.

Siri worked fine during the let's Talk iPhone" event and is the reason they sold 4+million iPhone 4Ss in a 3-day span, in addition to the amazing cameras and the flawless performance all-around.

Google, seriously... demand more from your hardware developers. You can do better than this.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]happyballz[/nom]That is Galaxy S..not 2.[/citation]
It was a mistake I was thinking "might as well get an Ga[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]iPhone 4S vs Galaxy Nexus4S - faster (look up the benchmarks, the A5 destroys tegra 2, let alone this setup)Camera - iPhone has the best phone camera on the marketScreen - Nexus has the better screen by a bit HD LED IPS vs HD AMOLED - they're pretty closeOS - ICS sandwich wins for OSApps - iPhone 4S winsCustomizability - ICS wins hands downEase of Use - iP4sI'm a tech nerd, and this galaxy nexus looks sweet. I'll still be recommending the iPhone to all my non-tech friends though, cuz droid is still freaking hard for a non-tech person to use like it's meant to be used.down vote me: I don't really care, cuz at the end of the day they're both great phones.[/citation]
The Nokia N8 has the best camera on the market.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]The Nokia N8 has the best camera on the market.[/citation]
No, not really, the best still picture cameras currently com from Canon, Nikon, Hasselbland and Mamiya. The best motion picture cameras in the market come from Imax, Panavision, RED, and ARRI.

G

the A5 and Tegra 2 both have Cortex A9 CPUs, as well as the Primes TI SoC.

i think its hilarious that I have been living with at least half of these ICS features for a long time now with MIUI and other community supported ROMs. As with anything technology related, people that are in the know will have more capabilities.

Instead of wasting your money getting the greatest new smartphone out there, just donate to ROM cookers. They spend their time and passion making the phones a lot of us already use far less disposable. Hell, my buddies OG droid running a non-OEM ROM is just as feature laden (in fact more so) and quick as most new phones out today.

Apples hardware and software are good. its the company's vision that sucks. locking down everything always hurts you in the end. people will eventually be willing to crawl out the shack they've been given and want something more....

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]g00ey[/nom]No, not really, the best still picture cameras currently com from Canon, Nikon, Hasselbland and Mamiya. The best motion picture cameras in the market come from Imax, Panavision, RED, and ARRI.[/citation]
I was referring to cameras in phones not all cameras, next time I'll be more specific.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.