Google Throws Money Into the Wind

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Yeh but, Yahoo! is has its very own bycicle turbine system creating 10 watts of power RIGHT NOW!!!

Take that Google!

Scotteq

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
< Patiently awaiting the PETA protests over birds getting injured/killed while flying through the arc of the blades >

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Scotteq[/nom]< Patiently awaiting the PETA protests over birds getting injured/killed while flying through the arc of the blades >[/citation]

The best bit is that it's not a problem for birds, they tend to stay away from the giant whirring things.

It is however a problem for bats, as it confuses their echolocation and they end up getting splattered. That must have some impact on the air resistance of the blades actually.

(I'm not giving an opinion on any flame worthy topics here, it's all lighthearted =]).

egidem

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
Let's just say that Yahoo's CEO was either drunk, on meth or was suffering from brain damage when she stated that Google needs to do more than searching...tisk tisk tisk.

gti88

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
I read that average wind turbine of 2 MW costs about $3 million. ($1.5 mil. for 1 MW.) How on earth did google find turbines which are 7 times cheaper?
May be, $38.8 million is only part of the total cost?

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]gti88[/nom]I read that average wind turbine of 2 MW costs about $3 million. ($1.5 mil. for 1 MW.) How on earth did google find turbines which are 7 times cheaper? May be, $38.8 million is only part of the total cost?[/citation]

It only said invested in, not built, or gained ownership of. So they probably got a big stake in them.

Simple11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
Great now if they can get some turbine engines and power all of the west coast, then google can very well take over the government for all I care :D

slimkiller

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
[citation][nom]Scotteq[/nom]< Patiently awaiting the PETA protests over birds getting injured/killed while flying through the arc of the blades >[/citation]

No dude, birds are ninja, they can dodge, the real problem here is whales.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Good for them. Their stake probably fixes their power costs for the forseeable future. I hope this motivates others too.
Unlike conventional or nuclear power plants, wind farms don't present a very good target for terrorists. Even the central control facility is probably quickly replaced with essentially modular components. I wouldn't mind living within sight of a wind farm.

Status
Not open for further replies.