Google Urges UserstTo Update Graphics Drivers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
Damn! They aren't even an operating system or 3D game and they are making equipment requirements??? Next thing... Google search requires Quad-Core with 8Gig of Ram and 2Teras of disk space. Ummmm... Hey Google Chrome, how about modding and refining your code for better compatibility.

jelee89

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
@starryman

This has move has less to do with Chrome's performance as an application of an O/S and more to do with Chrome's performance in allowing web developers to do more. Let me see if I can help. This isn't about hardware requirements. This is about merging hardware and browser technology to catapult the web from image and text to 3 dimensional applications and a web centric world. Logistically, this centralizes power (through data organization) which is Google's business goal.

The problem is that right now Google has to convince users to take every step. The steps they are taking is an effort to integrate and create a dependency on their browser. Short term this is very good for the user. Google has enormous capital, gives most of its products for free or a very modest fee, and propels innovation.

As a side note: Long term this is very trusting. Who is to say they will give up the power in the future if they change the status quo? (i.e. charge money; in lieu of their advertising business crumbling for example). Whenever you create power structures you have to be ready for the consequences, both good (organization and advancement) and bad (dependencies and demands). One solution to the problem is open source, but it isn't the cure all to the problem, but that's another long story.

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
[citation][nom]jelee89[/nom]@starrymanThis has move has less to do with Chrome's performance as an application of an O/S and more to do with Chrome's performance in allowing web developers to do more. Let me see if I can help. This isn't about hardware requirements. This is about merging hardware and browser technology to catapult the web from image and text to 3 dimensional applications and a web centric world. Logistically, this centralizes power (through data organization) which is Google's business goal. The problem is that right now Google has to convince users to take every step. The steps they are taking is an effort to integrate and create a dependency on their browser. Short term this is very good for the user. Google has enormous capital, gives most of its products for free or a very modest fee, and propels innovation. As a side note: Long term this is very trusting. Who is to say they will give up the power in the future if they change the status quo? (i.e. charge money; in lieu of their advertising business crumbling for example). Whenever you create power structures you have to be ready for the consequences, both good (organization and advancement) and bad (dependencies and demands). One solution to the problem is open source, but it isn't the cure all to the problem, but that's another long story.[/citation]

You write elegantly and hit it on the nose.

1. "Logistically, this centralizes power (through data organization) which is Google's business goal. "

Nobody wants or needs centralized power or data aggregated by one company. Google will pay for this dearly.

2. "Google has enormous capital, gives most of its products for free or a very modest fee, and propels innovation. "

This is where the public is under a cloud of Google mania. It is not free and it is not a modest fee. Privacy and independence is priceless. Google steals something that is not tangibly priced in the market and users will soon understand this.

3. "The steps they are taking is an effort to integrate and create a dependency on their browser."

A browser is no longer a browser if it controls every aspect of the users input which is then recorded by a third party with questionable TOS. The browser is now a terminal again.

Open Source! Open Source! = Independent Thinking and Living

jelee89

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
The benefits to the public is too great in their eyes. i can list each products benefits and problems. The average Jo is going to choose the benefits every day of the week. They would rather have youtube + google maps than protect their search fields. Especially if all the search field information is geared to streamlining the experience. Yes you run the risk of giving Google too much power, but the masses have always failed in that direction. All the benefits are concrete, all the problems are abstract. Until abstract problems start becoming concrete, the masses won't care one straw.

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]Taryth[/nom]@typo lunatics:Does it REALLY have that much of an impact on you? Get a grip, typos happen and for some reason or other they occasionally are not caught. Want some cookies for spotting them?[/citation]

Actually, I'm more amazed by the fact that they haven't fixed it yet.

of the way

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
It obviously does look more professional without typos, and so comments pointing them out should be welcomed, but we don't have to be jerks about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.