Google Wants to Attract 90 Percent of Microsoft Office Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Title: "Google Wants to Attract 90 Percent of Microsoft Office Users"
Actual Point: "Our goal is to get to the 90 percent of users who don't need to have the most advanced features of Office"

If that isn't misleading I don't know what is anymore.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
doesnt LIBRE OFFICE offer the best solution? It's free, uses the OPEN DOCUMENT system, opens all version of OFfice and creates / saves all version of office files. Oh yeah and it's free and not tied to the internet either. Libre Office FTW

sixdegree

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
I wish Google all the best for this, because attract people (especially old people) to migrate from MS Office is a very, very hard thing to do. Google literally have to bundle their word processor with chocolate for they to even think about trying the new office suite.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
We'll they better put in a spelling and grammar checker on par with MS Office if they want those users. Most users use it to type up documents and for spelling and grammar, something Google Docs is really lagging behind in. As well as every other office suite I have tried. Though I will fully admit I use Abiword/Openoffice mainly for close to 10years. But I have my reasons for that.

randomizer

Distinguished
[citation][nom]antilycus[/nom] It's free, uses the OPEN DOCUMENT system, opens all version of OFfice and creates / saves all version of office files.[/citation]

With varying degrees of success, ranging from near-perfect to an utter disaster. Of course one can complain or one can send The Document Foundation example documents that look bad so that they can fix the problem (yes, they do ask for them). Otherwise it's just guess and hope for the best.

[citation][nom]assasin32[/nom] Most users use it to type up documents and for spelling and grammar, something Google Docs is really lagging behind in.[/citation]

If people paid attention in school they wouldn't need to rely on spelling and grammar checks.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]I lost interest in Microsoft Office starting with Microsoft Office 2007.[/citation]
2010 is actually pretty good, 2013...i don't like the way it looks but functionality is good. Too ties to the internet though. But yeah, 2010 fixed the horror that was 2007. I'm talking about Office here. :p

cib24

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
It's all about Excel. Excel is the reason that Microsoft still holds such a tight grip on the PC space. Every business uses it to a huge extent and trying to get someone to switch from Excel when they have been using it for 20 years is going to be tough. Google will need to come out with a better version of Excel that can do even more. That's very tough to do.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]If people paid attention in school they wouldn't need to rely on spelling and grammar checks.[/citation]

Haven't been to school anytime recently have you? I can tell you in the US High School's (or at least California) one of the priorities is to teach you enough to pass the High School Exit Exam. Fortunately they were phasing this in when I was leaving High School but I was part of the optional class that was the beta testers for it, the teachers would spend a decent chunk of the time trying to prep us for it because people either didn't learn the stuff they should have known. Or they were just bad test takers, which does happen. So they would have to teach the subject matter for the test, than teach people how to take test just so they pass a test saying they passed because passing all your classes isn't good enough now days.

Than once that is over they have to cram all the other course material into the rest of the semester. While still taking time out to go slow enough to allow the slower students to keep pace, which is guaranteed to happen due to how there was an average of 40 students or more per teacher when I graduated. And that student/teacher ratio makes it quite difficult to teach from what I've seen. So it was usually review of what you should have already known or watered down content in hopes that everyone can keep up.

In fact most of what I learned in High School was self taught, which mainly concerned computers. I tried to take a computer class in High School, I can honestly tell you I don't think I learned a single useful thing.

It's mainly a matter of stupid requirements which are put in place which drag down education (High School Exit Exam) instead of allowing teachers to teach. Budget cuts which make classroom sizes grow, it was 40-1 when I graduated years ago before economy took a real head dive. And they couldn't always afford the equipment we needed sometimes.

So to put it short paying attention in school isn't the only problem now. It's having teachers who have the ability and are willing to teach. But the odds are stacked against them with how things are run now days.

EddieLomax

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
If they are giving all this away for free then where is the payback?

I'm guessing that eventually we'll see either fees appear, or more likely they incorporate the docs into their web of advertising. Maybe even just like the gmail man with google scanning every document you write to tailor their adverts.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Regardless of what any "Privacy Policy" says today, you must assume that anything you EVER store (or process) in "The Cloud" will eventually be siftable by others with a financial interest in doing so. This includes competitors, advertisers, Government ("ours" or "theirs"), divorce attorneys; pick someone you don't want having your data, and they'll be on the list.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
I'm sure every company with a smaller market share wants 90% of the competition. And as far as users who does want advanced features, it's called notepad or wordpad as has been included for free from the start

kellybean

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
[citation][nom]Pherule[/nom]You shall not succeed Google. None shall take MS Office 2000 away from me, it's my precious![/citation]
Don't worry MS will one day when you get a new MS rig and the newest OS does not run it. Apple loves to play that game.

fnh

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
Would'nt it mean Google would have to make an UI that 90% MS Office users recognize, or risk 90% MS Office users abandoning it because they can't figure where everything is?

G

If Google wants to compete in this space they should release a dedicated Office suite that isn't attached to the Internet. I was hoping they would this with Quickoffice but their focus seems to still be focused on web-based Docs (which isn't that surprising).

psychobob

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
I also have to give a thumbs up for LibreOffice. I've tried other alternatives like Kingsoft, but they're just not as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.