Google's Nexus 7 Already in Patent Hot Water?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old_Fogie_Late_Bloomer

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
[citation][nom]Pawessum16[/nom]You do know that there will always be ways to get Adobe Flash on your Android device? Adobe is just lazy as f*** and decided they don't want to support it anymore. This is Android we're talking about here. If you want it, you got it, and if you really want flash, you can get it. I referenced this article for some of my information -->http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-sou [...] sers/11433[/citation]
I couldn't help but notice that my original comment got downranked. I suspect that Android fans might have gotten P!$$3d at what they perceived as criticism. I'm not upset at Google, I'm upset at Adobe, but that doesn't change the fact that I don't see any point in buying a tablet that doesn't technically support Flash.

Adobe will continue to release software updates for devices with Flash installed, but if I buy a tablet after August 15th, I won't be able get Flash through Play even if I have an ICS device, so I won't be able to get those updates automatically. Every time I need to update Flash, I'll have to side-load the new version instead of having the update taken care of automatically. And eventually, the updates will stop.

Yes, I know, I will "probably" be able to get Flash running on Jelly Bean. And yes, Flash may be "dying out", but it isn't dead, and it's still an important part of "the Internet experience". As someone who would buy a tablet primarily for messing around on the Internet, it's kind of a big deal that Adobe is more or less abandoning the Android platform. Again, I'm not upset at Google. But it is not a great situation, and in my case, it's gonna be enough to make me go from "Ooh, maybe I'll spring for that; that seems like a good deal" to "Meh, not worth it."

twelch82

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]PS: And this is why HATING just apple over lawsuits is kind of silly... they are ALL ugly about this. Is google suing anyone yet?[/citation]
[citation][nom]vigorvermin[/nom]@belardoactually yes that can be patented, it's called a utility patent, which covers how certain stuff is used. We all want a patent overhaul, the problem is no one has a solution that's viable other than the one currently in place. We can't just get rid of patents, and the original inventor deserves royalties to some extent. I think patents should last 2 -5 years in today's world, I think the problem is patents are now covering industry standards. It will probably never happen though, the rich wouldn't get richer this way.[/citation]

How many "original inventors" are actually getting any royalties?

Status
Not open for further replies.