Google's Nexus 7 Already in Patent Hot Water?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]msgun98[/nom]It would be nice if this article actually explained what Nokia owns of this and how. Does that mean Rosewill had to pay Nokia to use the IEEE 802.11 standard for my cheapo wifi desktop card??[/citation]
Yep. Okay, if Samsung copied the Wifi SoC design/code/software = bad. But Samsung is huge and has been designing and building cellphones for years. If the issue is that Samsung stuck a WiFI component into a tablet... then isn't Nokia suing Apple? But you can't sue for a standard device being used in a certain way.

ie: if I stuck a wifi into a dildo, could that be patented?

It feels like everyone is suing Samsung on every release of a product. All screen devices are square-like with a square-like display. Can Samsung sue Apple for having a square-like phone? Its like Ford suing GM because the wheels they use are ROUND... but they are suing GM every time they release a new year model car.

vigorvermin

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
@belardo

actually yes that can be patented, it's called a utility patent, which covers how certain stuff is used.

We all want a patent overhaul, the problem is no one has a solution that's viable other than the one currently in place. We can't just get rid of patents, and the original inventor deserves royalties to some extent. I think patents should last 2 -5 years in today's world, I think the problem is patents are now covering industry standards.

It will probably never happen though, the rich wouldn't get richer this way.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
Lets try and take a more reasonable perspective...

Instead of spending millions on suing everyone under the sun. Maybe they should invest it in more R&D to make a superior product that people will prefer over the competitor. I am just saying

how about the companies make innovative products again and compete rather than sue over products that threaten their old dated technology

The companies who are suing aren't choosing between suing or creating new products. They all continue to make new, innovative products. They simultaneously try to protect their patents, as any good company should.

If rival companies were making 'innovative products again' then their products wouldn't infringe on patents. A patent infringement by definition represents a LACK of innovation. If we look at the ban of the Galaxy Tab after Apple sued, it was legally justified because Samsung had, in the eyes of the law, copied the design of the iPad. It is ironic, that after successfully protects their own innovation, proving that Samsung failed to innovate, that people accuse them of not innovating or competing. It is Samsung who were clearly guilty of not being innovative, and they created the problem in so doing.

IEEE 802.11 Wi-Fi standard? Its an INDUSTRY standard.
Didn't know that Nokia made patents?
Android OS doesn't use any MS or iOS code.
Apple should still sue over the mouse and click?

All screens are square.
Touch displays existed long before the iPad or iPhone.
Nokia should remember than Motorola mobile is owned by Google.

I suspect that the Wi-Fi patent is a FRAND patent. In other words, it's an industry standard, originally created by Nokia, which was widely adopted by lots of licensees in return for it being a FRAND patent, ensuring reasonable rates at all times. While these types of licenses don't give Nokia the right to ban the product, they do entitle Nokia to licensing money, which is probably why they'll sue.

You don't have to have 'made patents' to defend your properly patented technology.

Not using any MS or iOS code in Android doesn't have any relevance to this story. Whether you use the same code or not, you can still infringe upon patented design ideas.

Apple isn't suing anyone over 'mouse and click'.

All touch screens are square, hence nobody has ever been sued over the shape of their touch screen. Similarly, nobody has been sued because they have a 'touch display' - which did indeed exist prior to iPad or iPhone but had nowhere near the usable quality (often with a stylus) and didn't have the multi touch gestures.

Motorola being owned by Google is irrelevant - the bottom line is that the device uses technology which has to be licensed, and wasn't.

people this stupid 5hit will not stop until all the smart people boycott those patent jerks like apple and MS maybe you need windows, but you dont need office or xbox... maybe you want an ipod but you dont need that silly macbook or ipad! soy boycott those bastards, even if it is a partial boycott

Therefore we should also boycott all Motorola, Samsung, Nokia, Microsoft and Apple products, along with thousands of other companies who all sue each other. For example, Motorola started suing Apple first, trying to ban their device over FRAND patents.

Mr. Parrish, journalism is for the purpose of reporting facts. "the patent police have already swarmed in on the device, barking accusations" is either meant to convey how you FEEL about it, or how we, the readers, are SUPPOSED TO FEEL about it. Either way, it has no place in a piece that is put out there as if it is factual reporting. This is not the first time I've seen this mistake made on this site.

Kevin Parrish is a biased idiot, I've said it many times.

Yep. Okay, if Samsung copied the Wifi SoC design/code/software = bad. But Samsung is huge and has been designing and building cellphones for years. If the issue is that Samsung stuck a WiFI component into a tablet... then isn't Nokia suing Apple? But you can't sue for a standard device being used in a certain way.

ie: if I stuck a wifi into a dildo, could that be patented?

It feels like everyone is suing Samsung on every release of a product. All screen devices are square-like with a square-like display. Can Samsung sue Apple for having a square-like phone? Its like Ford suing GM because the wheels they use are ROUND... but they are suing GM every time they release a new year model car.

This article isn't about Samsung. The issue is that Google and Asus have used technology which is PATENTED without LICENSING it. Apple, on the other hand, isn't being sued for this because they PROPERLY LICENSED IT. The case has nothing to do with using it in 'a certain way' - it's a legal fundamental that if you want to use patented technology, you license it.

If it feels like 'everyone is suing Samsung' (even though this article isn't about Samsung at all), what does that tell you about how innovative they are being?

Again, your mention of 'square like phone' is something that no legal case or patent dispute has ever been based on. If you're mistakenly referring to the Galaxy Tab ban, that had nothing to do with it being square, since their amended, non-infringing replacement was also square. Thus it's absolutely nothing like your GM example.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
What? Nokia? As much as I used to like your phones and your attitude towards making them (a model for everyone and focus on hardware), @#$% YOU. You do NOT screw with Asus.

mihaimm

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]ie: if I stuck a wifi into a dildo, could that be patented?[/citation]
Yes, you can patent that and if you do have a product I assure you, you'll make a lot of money. I just can't figure out the use of wifi in a dildo...
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]It feels like everyone is suing Samsung on every release of a product.[/citation]If I'd be in the US, I would sue Samsung over the quality of it's non-S2/S3 phones. I've had 4 different low end Samsung phones (Android 1.5 - 2.3) that were simply unusable (signal loss, 3g lock up, data loss).
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]All screen devices are square-like with a square-like display. Can Samsung sue Apple for having a square-like phone? Its like Ford suing GM because the wheels they use are ROUND... but they are suing GM every time they release a new year model car.[citation]Apple can sue Samsung because Samsung's lawyers can't tell which is iPad and which is Galaxy Tab. I bet you Ford would sue GM if GM's lawyers couldn't tell which is Ford and which is GM.

G

the first thing Samsung did was appeal the ban of there galaxy nexus in the us by the time it is band in the us it will be obsolete !!!

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]....Nokia should remember than Motorola mobile is owned by Google.[/citation]
That's essential. If Moto owns/licensed said patents, Google can use them. Period.

G

YES! GET THIS ONE BANNED, JUST LIKE THE NEXUS PHONE OF PATENT THEFT!

HAHAHAHHAHA!

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Funny how people freely admit they don't know the actual technical specifics of the patents in question, but then object to people defending patents they own on general principle
If you owned a company that had spend $50 billion in R&D over the last 20 years, then saw another company that spent zip but just used the IP anyway, you would go ape-shit, anyone who says different is a LIAR

G

"PS: And this is why HATING just apple over lawsuits is kind of silly... they are ALL ugly about this. Is google suing anyone yet?"

WRONG. Nokia has politely asked that Google simply pay them a royalty. Apple on the other hand refuses to sell licenses to use their patents, and instead tries to run your product into the ground through lawsuits.

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
[citation][nom]hotroderx[/nom]Instead of spending millions on suing everyone under the sun. Maybe they should invest it in more R&D to make a superior product that people will prefer over the competitor. I am just saying[/citation]

Don't be silly, that would make sense.

G

Seriously!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How the FUCK does this still happen in 2012!

Only people it affects is the consumer.

mihaimm

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]If you owned a company that had spend $50 billion in R&D over the last 20 years, then saw another company that spent zip but just used the IP anyway, you would go ape-shit[/citation]
Most sensible comment ever! IP is here to stay, at least until we get to a "StarTrek" level of evolution (when there are no corporations and everybody works in order to be useful to the society and for the progress of human kind, expecting in return only the recognition for their work).
Now... who thinks we're already there? I might have something for you to do...

Status
Not open for further replies.