Google's Self-Driving Cars Arrive in Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.

daygall

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
you can have my car, when you tare it from my cold dead fingers.... you will never get me to give up my 1965 corvair, and i will never trust my life to a computer that cant have the situational judgement that i can

Lewis57

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
Fuck that for a laugh. It probably comes equipped with multiple sensors and a phone home service to ID profile me and invade my privacy even more.

Lewis57

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
F**k that for a laugh. It'll probably come equipped with multiple sensors and a phone home service to report back to GoogHQ with even more private data so they can ID profile me even more.

daygall

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
im 22 and have never touched drugs, have fun with that, i was given the car by my father, and i will never give up the freedom to go ware i want as i want, would you want a bike that tells you ware you can and cant go, without your input? no i didnt think so, so why is a car different?

G

[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]But will the cars play crysis?[/citation]

It will be a crysis if someone hacks the cars and there is nothing you can do but scream :)

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Since I like to drink.... I like the idea of a self driving car. It will bring drinking and driving back into fad, only now it will be legal.

Honestly, I hate driving so this is all win.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I mean honestly the only people I can see really being against this are truck drivers and taxi cab drivers who will eventually lose their jobs. The rest of us can ride around and get drunk.

jordan009

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
[citation][nom]daygall[/nom]im 22 and have never touched drugs, have fun with that, i was given the car by my father, and i will never give up the freedom to go ware i want as i want, would you want a bike that tells you ware you can and cant go, without your input? no i didnt think so, so why is a car different?[/citation]
I would take you more seriously if your spelling was correct.

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
I'd definitely want manual override. Otherwise, I think it is a pretty great option.

It'll be a huge deal when an automated car is, inevitably, involved in an accident. Maybe even the party at fault. Even if it is FAR more rare than accidents of non automated drivers, people will demonize it.

alxianthelast

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Yep I was thinking the mirror opposite, not only is this progressive and great like cruise control for fair weather driving assistance, BUT I DO actually want to know if Google is working on self balancing, and driving bikes.

It will be far more economical to have pods of self driving eBikes on the roads at rush hour versus cars.. AND though it isn't the focus, having your car mozy to its spot at lunch time when the roads are less congested, or the mid afternoon, that would be mighty useful.

And it would be great for this to become mandatory in 10 years time like hands free rules, and seat belts are now. Just in the interest of public safety having all cars reporting their position and speed would be worth it but not their destination (they track your phones for that already).

keyanf

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
So how quick will the other bills die out once they get their first accident (even if the rate remains lower than human control)?

darkion

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
@whysobluepandabear, I agree with what you said! This will lead to less traffic because you wont have idiots cutting people off or driving too slow on the passing lane, and you wont be stressed out any more about being stuck in rush hour traffic, just take a nap! The manual control override is a must though. I support the new technology, bring it to Canada!

Status
Not open for further replies.