Google's Self-Driving Cars Arrive in Nevada

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

So, you let Google drive you around and tell the whole world where you live, where you work at, where you go out at, where your mistresses are, where your enemies are, and who you are stalking. Thanks but no thanks. I'd rather drive drunk and be arrested for DUI and keep my own privacy.

autoordnance

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Who is going to insure these once they go public... If I told my agent that my computer totaled my car I don't think hed agree to pay.

G

If you have your heart set on a sporty vehicle, you'll probably pay dearly. Insuring a high-performance car can easily cost two or three times the insurance amount for an ordinary model but once place called "Clearance Auto" can help with sport vehicle..

dizzy_davidh

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
It will take you for a ride (just like it's inventors) and then sell your movement data, car stereo playback choices, recordings of any conversations that take place inside the car as well as any video it can capture from it's internal webcam and external parking sensors, all to the highest bidder.

There is also likely to be a sneaky hidden extra that performs a rectal exam while you sit in it's seats that once complete forwards the results to maniacal scheming drug companies!

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]drapacioli[/nom]Sorry, but I happen to like driving. This is one technology I don't want to adopt.[/citation]
Well like in Demolition Man, you can shut it off and drive manually if you wish

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
Sorry to ruin peoples fun, but even if you had this you would still get a DUI. You can get a DUI if you are close by your car, drunk and have the keys in your pocket, even if you had no intention of driving. So I imagine if you are the only one in a self driving car and you are drunk, you will still get a DUI.

leakingpaint

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2007
I think the idea is cool - there are more advantages than disadvantages. As long as the choice remains ours and we can choose to use whatever car we want then this is just another option for people who can't drive or for someone who wants to get home from the pub without getting arrested.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
PLEASE tell me there's an "opt out" option for a Google autonomous car, as well. I'll connect my car to an SSID ending in "_nomap" thank you very much.

That is...when I get to see more data on these vehicles.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Yes, because automated guidance means it will be stuffed with cameras and microphones internal to the passenger compartment to record you. None of that stuff would be looking at the road.

What a bunch of idiots.

G

This topic is very interesting. I am a member of the Society of Automotive Engineers, and every SAE document I've read regarding "Self Driving Cars" states that this technology will not be ready (in the name of safety) until 2020-2025.

mindbreaker

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
Even if you like to drive there are occasions you would not mind letting the computer do it: say a long trip, an extremely boring road, if you are a nervous wreck say after being mugged, or some close to you died, you just got a ticket from a particularly obnoxious police officer. I can also see the day when they can do things people can't, like get you to a new place fast when you have to get there on time and you would be messing with navigation and not get there in time. And it might be a relief to have it drive in slow-and-go bumper-to-bumper traffic.

To be honest the real application is for the elderly and maybe the young: Got to think that is good; they get the freedom and we get less slower traffic. And getting kids to school or picking them up sounds pretty cool. I wonder if they have to have an occupant. Be kinda cool if I can call my car and have it pick me up. Say you were with some people and decided to leave without them or early. Or say you were riding you bike and pulled a muscle or got sick or something broke on the bike...you just call your car and have it pick you up.

It just needs a robot in the driver's seat to go to the drive-through and pick up some cheeseburgers ;) At least a robot arm. Great if it could refuel at the gas station too.

You know if they make a law that it has to be occupied, people will have stuffed people in the driver's seat ;) I wonder if it knows how to stop for a police officer...next thing you know there is an all points bulletin out for you :)

They may also be able to communicate with one another and coordinate their actions so they let other autonomous cars in the lane and such and you are more likely to get where you want to go. There are so many rude and oblivious drivers that you can miss a turn because you can't get over in time. With other car's friendly and instant cooperation you get there and faster. There is not the constant delays trying to determine what another driver is up to...they just know...provided there are a lot of them on the road, say 20% or more. It can make emergency services faster saving lives as well. Instant and appropriate actions to allow the fire truck or ambulance through will get many to the hospital in time or save a house from burning to the ground.

I love the idea for campers. I would be really cool to eat a meal or go to the restroom without stopping.

My concerns are what happens when a road becomes a dirt road or they just resurfaced a road and don't have the lines on it yet. And what about pedestrian jerks who have a stop sign in their bag the just flash at the last second when an autonomous car approaches to make it break like crazy and send you flying into your breakfast? And can it find a parking space at a destination and get parked appropriately? What about complicated parking signs? Can it read that you can only pare at certain hours or for certain amounts of time? What about when unexpectedly a road is closed? Can it get turned around and back on another planed route or deal with a crazy detour? What about when road-workers are directing actions which are contrary to what the road indicators are saying like waving you through the wrong side of the street? Can it read signs like look out for moose or remainder or armadillos? Would it know to look out for them at the side of the road and to slow when they are. Clearly it can break for an animal...what size is the limit though? Do you break for a dragonfly and perhaps cause an accident from unexpected breaking? Mouse? Rat? Where is the cut off? You know it is going to be able to see these creatures...where is the programming that says Yellow-jacket ok, hummingbird not ok? I can see interest groups worked up over what animals it is ok to squish. ;)

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
This is a great concept.3 Million Americans (USA) have been killed directly in motor vehicle accidents ever since the use of the automobile in the late 19th century.Another 3 million killed indirectly calculated due to vehicle pollution but that's another story.But a staggering 250 million Americans have been maimed or injured since that time in motor vehicle accidents.Worldwide the carnage is much higher than that.
Imagine a world of robotically driven vehicles drastically reducing those tragic statistics.
Also imagine greatly reducing or near elimination of traffic cops handing out tickets (the vehicle won't break traffic laws),the elimination of red light cameras,eliminating traffic courts,pink slips handed out to judges (you're obsolete),greatly eliminating lawyers (parasites) and the drastic reduction of the insurance industry and cost of the insurance.Eliminating the carnage and laws of man with the laws of physics and technology.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]jj463rd[/nom]...Also imagine greatly reducing or near elimination of traffic cops handing out tickets (the vehicle won't break traffic laws),the elimination of red light cameras,eliminating traffic courts,pink slips handed out to judges (you're obsolete),greatly eliminating lawyers (parasites) and the drastic reduction of the insurance industry and cost of the insurance.Eliminating the carnage and laws of man with the laws of physics and technology...[/citation]
Traffic tickets directly fund local police precincts. If they can't hand out traffic tickets, they are going to increasingly start 'visiting' peoples' houses to find other legal 'infractions' to recover this loss of revenue.

Status
Not open for further replies.