Google's Stunning Real-Time Voice Translation App

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Powersworder

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
[citation][nom]gamerk316[/nom]Ummm...the only people who still talk "proper" english live in the scottish lowlands; "mouse" and "house" still rhyme there, as they are supposed too ("Mouse" and "House" have the same sound as "Moose", etc)And yes, English is one of the hardest languages to learn for that very reason.[/citation]

Im from the south of England and I dont agree with that at all. Moose should not be pronounced the same as Mouse. You are referring to words pronounced with a Scottish accent, which is not proper English. I pronounce Mouse and House so they both rhyme, but the correct way, Eg (spelt phonetically): Mowse and Howse.

The pronunctiations you are referring to are a "Northern" variation and not correct. There are a whole host of words that the northern English and the Scottish pronouce strangely. More phonetic examples:

Bewk instead of Book.
Lewk instead of Look.
Tuth instead of Tooth.

G

I tried it out with a Chinese speaker and the English to Chinese is not bad, but the program had a great deal of trouble understanding spoken Chinese (traditional or simplified). A good first attempt but needs more work!

Status
Not open for further replies.