Gorillaz Creating Next Album on iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
What a stupid concept, amatures using this is to make/record music is one thing "professional" artists is using it is just stupid they're still going to go to the studio to tune up each track (each instrument/mic). They're just going to record on the iPad.

Apple obviously contracted them to show off the "capabilities" of the iPad.

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
bobusboy, you obviously know nothing about digital producing. even if you have an nice selection of hardware and controllers, chances are you're going to send your tracks to the label to get them mastered regardless of whether or not you have the gear to do it with. To be honest, the iPad's digital music recording apps are amazing, even the akai Ableton controller available for it is every bit as good as the $400 hardware you would have to buy otherwise. iPad's are amazing for DJs and producers, just like Macbook Pro's are better for Digital DJing than PCs, there is simply a huge latency issue on PCs with the interfaces on both Serato and Traktor. I honestly don't know all the specifics, all I know is what works better by actually using it. You guys are so entirely quick to jump at "OMG Sponsorship," but the Gorillaz are VERY established and very good artists, I doubt with the millions of dollars that they have made already, that Apple was the sole influence for them to produce their music this way. That kind of sentiment is absolutely stupid.

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
The music industry in general is kind of confusing/backwards/stuck-in-their-ways.With a subject as subjective as music, it's kind of easy to make things up without anyone being able to prove you wrong. A lot of debates in music recording play out this way.

e.g. analog vs digital signal processing, firewire vs usb, Legacy equipment vs whatever.

Now when it comes to UI's and user experience, apple might do a bit better. If Gorillaz wants to record on an iPad I don't see what the big deal is. Software and hardware has come a long way to make recording a very high quality album in your own home studio (or iPad) very possible.

surrept420

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Good lord the ignorance on this forum is astounding. I run serato on PC AND MAC. Both with 0 latency settings.

There is really little difference between a Mac and PC in terms of hardware. The biggest difference lies in the software.

And unfortunately for PC, Mac gets the better software packages *cough* Logic *cough*.

And to say Macs are better for digital mixing is hilarious. The last gig I had was with serato on a Macbook pro, and I'll be damned if the laptop didnt freeze up in the middle of my second set.
Never once has that happened to me on my Dell XPS running windows XP.

It's obvious they are getting paid to market the iPad for Apple. Who cares. I'd market the hell out of it too if Apple paid me. So would all of you.

Digital music done on PC's and Mac's has been around for many years now. It's nothing special to think the hardware on a iPad could be used to create an entire album. As long as the album sounds good, who the flip cares. End result is all that matters in music.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I feel sorry for the music they'll be "creating" on the iPad. It would've had so much more potential had it not been for the leader's insistance on iPad.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Apple add or not, even though this article obviously is, 2 paragraphs of band member quotes on how much they like the iPad and 4 about the iPads music abilities. They should just come out and be honest about it, say "Apple approched us on making a album on the iPad" instead of trying to pull the wool over our eyes. I guess its just business and marketing as usual.

liquidchild

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
and friend of mine said "can they suck any more" when we were talking about the last gorillaz album..."yes Dave they CAN suck more"

G

Nah, guys, this album will be superb. As usual. Tools are only as good as the talent wielding them and Albarn's got that in spades. This is a just a matter of convenience and he'll be utilizing some work that's already been recorded, in addition to stuff collected on the road. I'm sure the end result will be as good as their recent release. I saw them live. No faking, no ploys, they're all, quite simply, real artists and musicians and the outcome is excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.