Gov. Can Now Track Your Phones Without Warrant

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Sabiancym[/nom]Tracking =\= listening. The logic is sound. If it's not illegal for a cop to follow you around in public, it shouldn't be illegal for them to follow your phone signal.This isn't wire tapping, no personal info is being exposed. It's the same as having security cameras.[/citation]

Except that, while a security camera can follow my movements, the camera itself is still fixed at its location.

[citation][nom]Sabiancym[/nom]I don't care how angry you are, how much Fox news tells you it's the end of the world. This is not illegal in any way. It's the same thing as security cameras, same thing as a police stakeout, same exact thing. Nowhere in the constitution is this prohibited. The only people who are complaining are the conspiracy theorists who think the government is out to get them.It's not like warrants were hard to come by before hand. They hand them out all the time. All this does is speed up the process.Just paranoia. I see nothing wrong with it. Calling it a slippery slope is just an excuse to complain about something before anything wrong happens.[/citation]

Maybe so, but where does it end is what most are concerned about. I am curious as to whether you really want anyone knowing where you are at any given time. Technically I could follow you around everywhere you go so long as its in public. Course some call that stalking but then again the paparatzzi do it all the time.

[citation][nom]Sabiancym[/nom]How come when the government tracks people it's wrong, but when massive corporations who have no interest in you except your money have the ability to do it, it's fine?I'll never understand why people fear a government that they have a say in, but not the corporation that they have absolutely no vote in.[/citation]

Just to answer your question. Because governments can weld a lot more towards you than a corporation. Governments can take your rights and citizenship. Last I heard corporations cannot.

I guess I could continue with this but the bottom line is that most people really are concerned with the where will it end and the increasing intrusion government is taking in our private lives.

rollerdisco

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
[citation][nom]Sabiancym[/nom]Calling it a slippery slope is just an excuse to complain about something before anything wrong happens.[/citation]

I don't have a problem with it either, probably because i am not doing anything illegal. But your last sentence is just naive.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]Sabiancym[/nom]NO DATA IS BEING TAKEN FROM YOUR PHONE. THEY ARE ONLY TRACKING THE LOCATION OF THE DEVICE.Jesus, learn to read people.[/citation]

O'RLY? We do know that...

[citation][nom]coolcash1777[/nom]BTW, there is a tracking device on your guns. Its called a registerd serial number, they can track where that gun belongs.[/citation]

What if its NOT registered? OMG! They can track where that gun was made.

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
So.. It's just location? No call logs, no recordings or anything of the sort? Just location? If so then great, I don't care, I have the location tracking on my Cellphone all the time, and you can choose to shut it off too.

rollerdisco

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
[citation][nom]Parrdacc[/nom]Governments can take your rights and citizenship. Last I heard corporations cannot.I guess I could continue with this but the bottom line is that most people really are concerned with the where will it end and the increasing intrusion government is taking in our private lives.[/citation]
Corporations can tie your ass up in court forever if they get the slightest whim, and maybe even land you in jail. so yes i would say corporations can take your rights.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]Grab your guns, they don't have any tracking device embedded.[/citation]

I just grabbed my firearms and a few of them are making this "beep, beep, beep" noise. What do you suppose that is?

hamthony

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
WOW, if this was former Pres Bush, there would be picket signs and bull horns, but Pres Obama would never do anything that invades our privacy. Wake up dushers, this is BIG, they can effectivley track your location, listen to your calls and private conversations, turn on your HD phone camera, and read yout txt base communications. All under the gise of "no resonable expectation of privacy." ROFL, and than I cry.
Big Brother Is watching for real now

Sabiancym

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
Please tell me what you fear will happen because of this? All I see is paranoia. It's not like it was difficult to track phones before. Warrants are handed out like stickers. This just saves a bit of time and resources.

All I see is the same old fear of the government that has ruined this country. When people wake up and realize that they are the government is the day we'll finally catch up to the rest of the industrialized world.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]coopchennick[/nom]It's surprising what Obama will do and that we accept it just because he's Obama.[/citation]
Didn't he want a Kill Switch for the Internet? I guess he settled for this....

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
Maybe it works in reverse, for murderers and rapists.
"As you can see from my phone records I was at home the entire time the event took place"

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Is it so bad that the government can find you? Like I've heard people before with the most sense I've seen in the modern world. "I don't care if they can track me. I don't do anything wrong for it to be a problem." Exactly what are we losing here by this law getting passed? There's no 'Big Brother' spying on your every day activities for the purpose of evil. Get over it.

G

As coldmast said, it just wouldn't work in court.

If I commit a crime, leave my cell phone at home, I can just say I was home the entire time with my phone as "proof". None of this makes sense, and they shouldn't be allowed to do it.

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
"The Administration said that it only needs a 2703(d) order to obtain the information--this requires law officials to show that the records are relevant and material to an ongoing criminal investigation."

I get so tired of the old "Obama" this "Obama" that comments. Like Obama controls the entire law enforcement community. They still have to have a reason to obtain this data. It only tells them the location of your phone. Doesn't mean you are with it. If they have to wait to obtain a search warrant to track the phone of someone suspected of kidnapping a child, by the time they get it, it would probably be too late!

obiown77

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
Well, I guess next time I go get some cigaw%%$, I will need to pull the battery from my phone. Oh wait, I don't smoke. But if I did.....

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Xatos[/nom]Wait I thought it was big bad Bush and all the republicans who stole our privacy? No wait, liberals are just naive morons.[/citation]
No it's just politicians, each and every politician regardless of party or what they say. They are all identical.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Whenever people respond to articles like this say "if you're not doing anything wrong, you've got nothing to hide", I just respond, "if I'm doing something wrong, then you shouldn't have trouble getting a warrant".

If I'm not doing anything that would allow a warrant, then why the hell are you trying to get my phone records? This just doesn't make any sense to me. Its working off the assumption of presumed guilt instead of innocence.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]klyndt[/nom]Guys, this case started under the Bush administration. It is this current administrations responsibility to defend the actions of the previous administration even when it is counter to what the current administration wants to do.[/citation]
What a load of dung that is. Bush did it! It's all Bush's fault! He busted into the White House and gave Obama a pink belly until he relented!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS