Gov. Can Now Track Your Phones Without Warrant

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]So.. It's just location? No call logs, no recordings or anything of the sort? Just location? If so then great, I don't care, I have the location tracking on my Cellphone all the time, and you can choose to shut it off too.[/citation]The phone does talk with the towers - if they can push updates and silently kill software on your phone, who is to say they can't be strongarmed into opening up a back door. 15 years ago people would have laughed if I told them that the government could track you everywhere you went, legally no less. Science fiction, a delusion! Give it another 15 years of this kind of crap, tell me that's so far fetched.

Of course you can just turn off ALL wireless, and turn it into a handy brick.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]Whenever people respond to articles like this say "if you're not doing anything wrong, you've got nothing to hide", I just respond, "if I'm doing something wrong, then you shouldn't have trouble getting a warrant". If I'm not doing anything that would allow a warrant, then why the hell are you trying to get my phone records? This just doesn't make any sense to me. Its working off the assumption of presumed guilt instead of innocence.[/citation]
Amen.

MeanSquare

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
This is ridiculous. The mere presence of technology shouldn't negate legalities. For the government to track my location if I don't own a cell-phone requires probable cause and a warrant. Why should it not require same just because I happen to own one. Does the ownership of a cell-phone constitute probable cause? I don't think so.

G

Note to self - When commiting felony, turn phone off, remove battery.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]someguy406[/nom]Note to self - When commiting felony, turn phone off, remove battery.[/citation]
Then they can just arrest you on probable cause, because why else would you be turning your phone off unless you were planning a felony? What are you trying to hide someguy406? ...if that is your real name.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]Sabiancym[/nom]Funniest thing about this is that a lot of the people bitching probably have their real life details all over facebook.[/citation]
Every comment you have made has been thumbed down to oblivion...stop talking liberal.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
With technology to catch criminals or "protect" us...always sprouts technology to circumvent such. Nothing is set in stone...I'm not worried.

speedemon

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
well now we just need a widely available app for faking your location :) Not just the one i use with my jailbroken phone... a good one for android, ios and webos

compton

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Yeah, I'm not surprised that this isn't plastered on the front pages of American newspapers. The comparison the "Bush Warrantless Wiretapping" is bunk -- that only applied to persons making phone call from America to foriegn, suspected terrorists. This is a much more serious abuse of power, since it is primarily targeted at US citizens, for any reason.

G

Imagine if the average individual tried to track cell phone location, arrest and prosecution would follow.

It would seem that individual freedoms are going the way of the dodo in the states.

U.S is a nation of laws, badly written and randomly enforced.

djab

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
Not really good and may be not really usefull.

Those who really do not want there position to be tracked will just:
- leave there phone in some place(home, office,...) when going elsewhere.
- turn the cellular radio off when not needed(ex: plane mode on iphones)
- and the easiest ... switch off their phone/remove the battery if they can.

sceen311

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
If some information doesn't require a warrant to obtain, it should be data accessible to all citizens.

If we want to make sure lawmakers and law enforcement don't go off giving themselves rights they don't deserve or access to information they shouldn't be privy too, I believe that's a pretty fair assessment.

trkorecky

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Ugh, damnit! Now instead of just tracking my every step via my Foursquare, twitter, Facebook, Google Latitude, photo geotagging, and general answers to where I am via text messages, the government has another method to know where I am? What ever am I to do?

djsting

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. When President Bush signed intrusive legislation into laws, or issued executive orders which undermined privacy and freedoms, most people pitched a major fit... and rightfully so. Now that Obama is in power, you would think the first thing he would do is repeal or reverse some of that... nope! In fact, he's keeping those laws/orders in place and adding many of his own. At least with Bush, the intent of the laws was to gain intelligence on suspected terrorists (even though that could be easily abused). With Obama, it seems any and all Americans are fair game.[/citation]

Well you have to remember this. Anybody that disagrees with the Obama administratoin must be a white, racist, biggoted, sexist, gun waving, foxnews loving, right wing lune...did i forget anything?

The funny thing is, I seem to remember Democrats getting their panties in a bunch (and rightfully so) over warrantless wiretapping. However, warrantless location tracking, that's just fine. Double standard anybody?

djsting

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]MeanSquare[/nom]This is ridiculous. The mere presence of technology shouldn't negate legalities. For the government to track my location if I don't own a cell-phone requires probable cause and a warrant. Why should it not require same just because I happen to own one. Does the ownership of a cell-phone constitute probable cause? I don't think so.[/citation]

Can i get an Amen from the choir?

Status
Not open for further replies.