GPU Cooling Mod Cures Xbox 360 RRoD Problem

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
We've had decent fixes for the launch console for years now.
Replace the xclamp, apply some decent heat compound, and install some spacers under the mobo to keep it from flexing.

As new gen 360's don't suffer from the RROD I'm unsure why people are still talking about it.

G

actualy you can play mass affect 2 on youre ps3
you just instal a wista mod under the "other os" on youre ps3

korsen

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
You're getting banned for trying to repair a console you paid $300 for because the manufacturer was on PCP during mainboard design, and they want you to wait 6 months between repairs to get a version that's actually been fixed so they can make you pay $400 for the next generation of their console that will BSoD on you because they learned PCP was a bad idea and meth was better.

M$ can shove it, just like EA. IT'S CALLED BETA TESTING. GET SOME. WHY DO YOU THINK MERCEDES ARE SO NICE?

korsen

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
[citation][nom]alanman[/nom]Looks like you're the 'dumb nuts,' none of those have unified shaders. Unified shaders aren't just pixel shaders, they do several different functions. Nvidia's 8800 series and ATi's 2900 series were the first of their kind on PC with unified shaders.[/citation]

lol he's got you there.

jerrspud

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
Do a 12V fan mod on it. It's loud, but work. That's stopped my RRoD fix from locking up. Plus I use a laptop chill bad on the repaired/modded one and on my unmodded one. No problems.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]not quitre accurate , any console made after xmas 08 uses one of the new mainboards (jasper or vahalla) this included the elites and teh pros and the arcade models, after xmas that year all product liens received the updates so basically jsuta bout any 260 you buy today will most likely ahve teh new revisions , thoguh this fix would be a must for folks that stil have the older decks , my question is if teh fan being moutned on top of teh ehat sink makes things to tight for teh disk drive , why not get two smaller fans a dn moutn them on teh sides of the heat sink , unles the ehat sink is jsuta really wierd design you can sidel moutn screws on one[/citation]

What on earth is wrong with your typing skills?

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Too bad you can no-longer get the Lian Li PC-XB01 case. I would get that case take out the stock fan and put a Scythe Ultra Kaze 3000, remove the hdd and put in a 256GB SSD, and replace the dvd player with an updated one. Which turns it into a bit over the $1000 mark for an xbox 360. Boy, would it be sick. Then you can brag about having the sweetest xbox 360. But im sure someone has done already.

G

This is dumb. It has nothing to do with the DVD drive. I run a repair shop for a living. It has to do with the way the X-clamps are designed and their material structure being flawed. The pressure lets off because of this, so what you did was create pressure with the fan you screwed onto the GPU. It really doesn't have much to do with the DVD drive. The reason being is that the GPU still gets hot enough to melt and crack the lead-free solder attaching the GPU to the motherboard.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
It is absolutely ridiculous that you have to go through all this bullhockey in order to get an XBox360 working. For god's sake, the PS1 and PS2 never got this damned hot and neither did the original XBox.... why is the XBox360?

This is just POOR DESIGN work on the part of Microsoft, and not testing this thing VERY well before it shipped.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]hixbot[/nom]We've had decent fixes for the launch console for years now.Replace the xclamp, apply some decent heat compound, and install some spacers under the mobo to keep it from flexing.As new gen 360's don't suffer from the RROD I'm unsure why people are still talking about it.[/citation]

Guess again! The fact is that the new XBox360's still have this problem on occasion. Nowhere near as much as the older ones, but still better than 1/4th of them go out with the 3 lights of death.

G

I dont recommend water cooling an XBox. it isnt meant for the added weight on the mobo. Plus you'll have to find an alternative power source for the pump. all in all: huge pain in the ass. Leave water cooling to the PCs

joel133

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
Buy a 20 inch custom manufactured power cable for the Xbox360 dvd drive. Go to google and type in airflow cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.