GPU usage inconsistent when laptop is plugged in

WorldAmbassador

Estimable
Dec 4, 2015
Hi, I have an asus x450jf intel core i7 4700hq and nvidia gt 745m. When playing games on battery, the gpu load is fine and is in a consistent percentage of 99%, but when it is plugged in, the GPU load just fluctuates randomly, causing extreme fps drops with no pattern whatsoever. Any advice?

Hi,

First make sure that the latest driver has been installed in your laptop for your NVIDIA graphics card.
- Here's the link where you can get the latest driver. Just do the automatic download and install.
- nvidia.com/download/index.aspx
- After installing the latest driver change the Power Management of NVIDIA.
- Here's the link on how to change it: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3130/~/setting-power-management-mode-from-adaptive-to-maximum-performance
- Reboot your laptop after all the changes then test it again.

WorldAmbassador

Estimable
Dec 4, 2015

Thank you for the reply, but i have done all of this to no avail. Previously, my laptop did not have any problems playing games smoothly when plugged in, but one day the frame rates of games (every game) just drops and increases. I have tried reducing settings and it just does not cooperate. I know that my laptop is able to run games smoothly because it did for the first 6 months of buying the laptop. Could it be a hardware issue or can it be fixed manually by changing some settings?

TRENDING THREADS