Graphic Design Certificate- Need laptop.

sifthru

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
Hey there, folks.

I may have an opportunity coming down the pipe, in the near future (within 3-6 months), to try for a digital Graphic Design Certificate, at the local College. However, my previous laptop succumbed to quite a nasty virus, and is no longer with us ( using College computer @ the moment ). So, if I’m going to go for this certification I’ll need to purchase a new accomodating computer. However, I also need to buy a laptop for standard school work, entertainment, net surfing, etc. I’m thinking that I’d like to kill-two-birds-with-one-stone, and try for a laptop that would meet both needs. And the sooner I get it would also be to my advantage. Since you folks are a mostly knowledgeable and helpful bunch, I thought I’d run my situation past ya, and see if your input could help my options.

First off- the cash bottom line: $500.00.

( Don’t know if it’s do-able, but that’s what I’m working with.)

Initial Net search/opinions seemed to indicate that I’d need the following (for running Art Programs/Graphic Design):

Dedicated Graphics Card

Decent processor ( i5 or ↑ ? )

Decent monitor resolution ( ? )

Laptop should also be able to accommodate the following programs:

Adobe Photoshop

Adobe Illustrator

Adobe Flash

As far as school work goes, I’ve done pretty well just using MS Word for papers & such.

MS Word/Works, Open Office, or similar should fit the bill.

I AM looking around for laptops with the above specs, but I’m still a babe-in-the-woods when it comes to TECH. I get confused. I could really use a helping hand and a little savvy guidance. Anyone have a moment to leave me some helpful suggestions or two? I’d be very much obliged!

Sifthru

3-6 months Haswell CPU's will be out (Intels next line) and they are looking to have decent integrated graphics. Just for 2D stuff, integrated will be fine for photoshop, and the programs you listed. You don't need a full 3D gaming card for that and that will suck hugely into your budget if you need a discrete card in a laptop. Get a near the top of the line Haswell and that will take care of a good 4core CPU for you plus graphics in 1 chip, and 1 low power, long battery life, less heat chip. I'd wait till right before you're about to start your course and ask this again, because as I said in that time, intel new chips will be out, and while they don't offer a lot for a desktop gaming PC (you don't need the integrated graphics for gaming, you want a 3D card, and the speeds aren't faster and you don't care about less power consumption in a desktop as much), for the laptops, I think Haswell will be worth waiting for and offer good battery life, good performance and good graphics with little heat.

sifthru

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
Thanks for the reply, GETOCHKN!

Yeah, might try for program in Summer or Fall- still debating. Unfortunately, I really need my own personal laptop kinda-like:right now! COLLEGE/PUBLIC computer users are loud/obnoxious/distracting. I need quiet and focus.. in order to get work done.

Your description of Haswell does seem like a really good deal, though. Thorough, nicer output for less effort! Did mini search for a bit of understanding, on it, and possible prices: what I saw seemed reasonable / DO-able. It’s just that June is too far down the road. Though, at the moment, I DO have the cash on hand,.. it could very easily get used up on survival/life necessities.

Gotta jump and take advantage of the current situation: NOW!

So,.. I think I’m gonna go after a school & entertainment Laptop now, and see about a Haswell Laptop in the future. I definitely WOULD like to go after that Certificate, but it’s somewhat still up in the air. If all my PELL grant money isn’t used up in the program’s cost ( don’t think it will be ), then hopefully I can use the balance to fund a Haswell Laptop purchase. We’ll see. Not gonna cry if I gave it my best shot, eh?

To JACK NAYLOR PE:

Much obliged for the realism, Jack. I’m gonna hang on to your suggestions and use them as a spec-check, in future considerations. And right you are: “productive”! No sense going after this Certification if I can’t meet any lucrative opportunities, afterwards!

Thank you both, very much, for your for your opinions!

Sifthru