Group Uses Optical Illusion for Speed Bump, Puts Faux Kid in Middle of Canadian

Status
Not open for further replies.

hispeed120

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
So does the projection ever disappear, or does the drive just have to face the fact that he/she is running over a fake kid?

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
so, eventually people just assume they are fake kids and just drive over it like normal, until one day it is the real thing. bad idea.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]hispeed120[/nom]So does the projection ever disappear, or does the drive just have to face the fact that he/she is running over a fake kid?[/citation]
I can just imagine it now... some poor bloke is just going to stay there until the kid moves, despite the fact that she can't.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
"motorists could become desensitized to the warnings and eventually run over a real child they thought was just a Pavement Patty."

Honnestly officer I thought she was a speed bump, she even dresses like one!

haunted one

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
This is ridiculous. Using projections to scare drivers into slowing? And it looks real from a distance? The potential for a driver to actually run over a kid will increase if they implement this.

pangedit

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Isnt this gonna be more dangerous? Drivers would slam their brakes and stuff? What if a real child was chasing a ball on the street? Ohh thats just a speed bump, just go right ahead. FAIL

geofry

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
The automobile represents the last great hope of natural selection to prevent the human herd from becoming too stupid.

Stop trying to fight it.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
I'm glad to see everyone is reading the article before posting their comments. (sarcasm)
It's elongated on the pavement, and only looks proportional from 100 feet away. As you get closer (at 18 mph as per the speed limit) it clearly is just a painting on the road. FFS, people.
But yea, Canada is a screwed up country.

G

As it has been already mentioned if a driver cannot distinguish a static drawing from a real kid, well, he/she should just not be driving at all.

ZaKa

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
If you begin to mistake a flat distorted image that stretches out for about 20 feet for a real child, then you are blind and shouldn't be driving anyways.

I like it. I see people speeding in school zones all the time.

MiamiU

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
I don't see what's the problem with these "speed bumps"... they are putting them in residential zones not major roads. Aren't most residential zones like 25 MPH speed limits?

santeana

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2003
[citation][nom]MiamiU[/nom]I don't see what's the problem with these "speed bumps"... they are putting them in residential zones not major roads. Aren't most residential zones like 25 MPH speed limits?[/citation]
I agree. and don't forget, too, that it isn't a projection. It's not a hologram. It really is painted on the road. (google sidewalk art and you'll see how the illusion works) It only looks real at a distance as stingstang stated (wow say THAT 3 times fast lol). Once you are up close, even 20, 30 ft away, it just looks like a distorted image painted on the road. The only thing I would have to agree on for the other side though is about people becoming desensitized to it jus tlike we do any other sign. I mean, you'd think that a great big flourescent yellow sign saying school zone should be enough. Or that a 25MPH sign should tell you but after all this time, we as drivers simply don't care enough, or we think we are more important than the next guy and don't have to obey. This will work... for a while. But given our history, I would think that before too long, it will be just another road sign that we ignore.

NeeKo

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
Its a good idea, you have to be really retarded to confuse one of these with a real kid. Let alone when you realize after 2-3 seconds that it is not moving.

marcusmurphy

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
Fear is never a good motivator for anything. It only causes atemporary fix until the hormonal pathways become used to that fear stimulus.

Status
Not open for further replies.