Gt 650m sli vs gt 750m

ibshortkid94

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
My friend and I are both geting new laptops. My friend is buying the Lenovo Y500 with 2 gt650m's in sli. I am buying the same type of laptop but with a single gt750m. How much of a difference will there be performance wise? Also, once I buy a second gt750m for the ultrabay,how much extra performance will I gain from it?

ingtar33

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
the 750m should be better on the battery then his laptop. you'll be able to outlast his battery life, and your laptop won't turn into a mini volcano and burn a hole in the table like his will. but his will undoubtably be a better gaming machine.

of course he's also an idiot, and you should tell him so. SLi'ing on a laptop is beyond retarded, SLi'ing with LOW END gpus no matter what the platform is equally retarded. He'd be better off getting a real moble gpu in his machine, his battery would last longer, and he'd have none of the microstutter problems that come with SLi.

-EDIT- I just looked up the laptop. that laptop doesn't even have an HD monitor. Getting anything more then the 750m is a waste of time and money. so don't match his stupidity by spending money on something you don't need. the 750m is MORE then enough gpu for that tiny screen. frankly it's overkill. don't waste your money like he is. there is no point.

olin9

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
Here is a nice review of the Y500 with the GT650 SLI.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y500-Notebook.87585.0.html

The GT650 SLI will surpass the GeForce GTX 670MX Performance. The GT750 are GT650 with a 22% faster clock and will be faster than the GTX 675MX.

As for heat, you will not have any issues. Each GPU has its own fan and heatsink tubes. And there is a big vent on the bottom of the labtop for air. You can play all games on high or ultra for hours and the system will remain cool.

As for microstutter, I have never had any microstutter issues. Microstutter only happens at low FPS about -30.

As for battery life, it takes just a second to remove the 2nd GPU. With one GPU and using word or IE, the battery will last 4 hours.

EDIT: Lenovo has the Y500 with 1920x1080 screens. With the lower 1366x768 you will get even higher FPS.

ingtar33

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
and its a 720p monitor.

i can't believe you'd even suggest such overkill for such a tiny monitor with such low res. the 750m is more then enough. frankly an a10-4600m is more then enough.

Furzmann

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013
I have owned the Y500 with GT650M SLI for two months now. Best laptop I have ever owned and unlike some prognosticators here have predicted, heat is not an issue, the built in fans work well. The full 1080p LED monitor is excellent and a backlit keyboard makes gaming in the dark a snap. The only gripe is that one cannot have a built-in DVD drive with the SLI setup, but one can always use an outboard unit if you only need it to load software. A reasonable sacrifice if you desire 3D performance. This is a fantastic gaming laptop - especially for the modest price.