Replaced Laptop fan/heatsink suddenly awful FPS: GT 650m x 2

MadMack

Commendable
May 14, 2016
Hello everyone, I've recently replaced the fan in my Lenovo Y-500 Laptop due to a mechanical failure in my last fan/heatsink. The new fan seems to be installed properly and works fine, but now whenever I try to play a game I get severe FPS loss. Games that recently would run at 60+ fps are now running on average between 10-15 frames sometimes dropping even lower. Weirdly Hearthstone refuses to go above 30fps.

As well changing resolution or settings doesn't increase fps at all. I've tried turning off V-sync, forcing triple buffering, Adjusting the power settings in Nvidia control panel, changing my power settings, adjusting the monitor refresh rate, and applying two fresh installs of Windows 8.

I've monitored both GPU's and the CPU and nothing appears to be overheating and the clock speeds seem normal.

I know this isn't a matter of my rig being too old or the cards not being strong enough since everything was working fine a week ago, but I'm completely stumped on what the issue might be.

I'm just trying to get my laptop working normally again, and any help or advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

The computers specs are

Model: Lenovo Y-500
Operating System: Windows 8
CPU: Intel Core i7 (3rd Gen) 3630QM / 2.4 GHz
GPU: Nvidia GT 650m 2GB -SLI x 2
Memory: 16gb DDR3
Hard drive: 1TB HDD

And this link is to the offical hardware manual I followed to install the new fan : https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/ideapad_y400y500_hmm_1st_edition_sep_2012_english.pdf

Hi,

If these problem started happening after replacing the fan and heatsink, do start with them.
- Open the laptop again and make sure that the heatsink is seated properly into the GPU and CPU.
- Once done, do a clean install of the graphics card driver.
- First is to uninstall the Nvidia graphics card driver from Device Manager.
- Next is to open Programs and Features then uninstall anything related to Nvidia.
- Once uninstalled, download and install the latest driver.
- Here's the link: nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
- Reboot the laptop once the latest driver has been installed.
- Do also set Nvidia as the default GPU after the reboot.
- Here's the link: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2615/~/how-do-i-customize-optimus-profiles-and-settings%3F

MadMack

Commendable
May 14, 2016
Thanks for the quick reply, Laptop_Nerd.

I believe the heatsink and fan are seated correctly and the thermal putty appears to be applied evenly.

I've done a full uninstall of the drivers in the device manager though they revert back to their original drivers each time.
I then uninstalled the Nvidia HD Audio Nvidia Gerforce, and one other Nvidia controlled application.

I've updated the drivers to the latest available, and rebooted, but it would appear that there is still no increase in performance

I've tried monitoring the 3-D preview in the Nvidia control panel with fraps and no matter what settings I change I'm getting a constant 32 fps

Update:

Ok so rebooting with only 1 of the GT 650m's installed and I get the same exact frame rates, however when I plug the second GPU back in it is detected and appears to be running, but frame rates stay exactly the same.