GT 730m 4GB VRAM vs GT 740m 2GB VRAM?

Bonhammerstorm

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
Hey, My Old Laptop is on its way out and since my living situation is mobile right now I need a Laptop I can Game on Without breaking the bank.

Im looking at

the Acer V3-571G
i7-3630QM
8 Gig ram
GT 730m 4GB VRAM

The Lennovo Ideapad z500
i7-3520M
8 Gig ram
GT 740m 2GB VRAM

The Asus S56CB
i7-3667U
8 Gig Ram
GT 740m 2GB VRAM

I probably wont get the Asus because of the weaker processor but man dose that aluminum finish look good! best appearance and trackpad out of the three for sure

Ok my question is this:

The 730m is clocked at 725 MHz and the 740m at 810 MHz

But the 730m Obviously has twice the memory

which one is gonna give me better and longer lasting performance for gamming.

I currently play skyrim, Hitman, LOL, Marvel heroes as well as some others that are less demanding.

Side question:

I know the processors of the lennovo and acer are different but they are close enough right? I want to lean towards the lennovo because it looks better and the trackpad is nicer, but I have a feeling the acer is more powerful. Thoughts?

Solution

Oh whoops! Dude sorry I probably was looking at in the wrong cpu XD. Yea I think I might've still had the acer cpu up on the page. Well that certainly changes things. That makes the lenovo one the clear winner in terms of raw performance. It really sounds like you like asus a lot more (and...

fudoka711

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
Between all three laptops, the best overall laptop is probably the asus one.

Now, first to address your main question about the gpu's. The 740m is better than the 730m - don't take memory into account. Either gpu is not anywhere close to being strong enough to take advantage of more than 2gb of memory. It usually takes a desktop class 660/660ti to do that. Skyrim is known for using up tons of memory, but I'm positive you won't have a problem with "only" having 2gb of vram.

So that puts the acer laptop out of the picture.

To address the lenovo and the asus. Both processors are classified as core i7's, but only one is actually a true quad-core - the asus one. The first one resembles the same processor that was placed in the first razer blade gaming laptop - it is a 2 core/4 thread cpu. The lenovo one runs faster by default and has a higher clock, but uses twice the power. The asus one will almost overclock as much on a few threads, while using half the power.

Now, for games that only use a couple threads at a time - the lenovo one is right for you. For games that use 3 or 4 threads at a time - the asus one is right for you. That's pretty much the only thing that should make your decision from a purely hardware point of view (other than the battery life aspect). All the games you listed I think use more than 2 threads at a time.

You like the look of the asus one more - so get that one imo.

Bonhammerstorm

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
I Guess your response confuses me a little

I looked up the processors for the asus and the lennovo and they were both 2 core/ 4 with threads

the lenovo being significantly more powerful because of the higher wattage.

I like the asus, and asus as a company, but im afraid it will bottle neck my applications.

I looked up the processor for the acer, it is a true 4 core with 8 threads. did you possibly Google that one?

PS. thanks for the help

fudoka711

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012

Oh whoops! Dude sorry I probably was looking at in the wrong cpu XD. Yea I think I might've still had the acer cpu up on the page. Well that certainly changes things. That makes the lenovo one the clear winner in terms of raw performance. It really sounds like you like asus a lot more (and how it looks). As for the lenovo laptop, I don't know that particular models quality/ratings, but I know lenovo makes good laptops. They've definitely gotten a lot better over the years and have really good ratings nowadays.

I guess you just have to decide whether you want to take a "risk" and go with a company you're not as familiar with. The asus one will work fine, I just know that the lenovo one will do better while gaming in cpu bound games.

Solution

Bonhammerstorm

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
Whew, glad thats cleared up,

Yea I've herd lenovo has come a long way over the last 3 years. Yea I'm gonn go to the store and browse others in that price range.

I think your right,as I've researched more the lenovo seems to be the right choice

Thanks man

Bonhammerstorm

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
Lol funny story,

I walk into the store and they have a new acer model thats not even on the internet or in america yet (im in asia)

the Acer V3-572G
i7 3537u 2 GHz (3.1 GHz Turbo)
8 Gig ram
GT 750m 4GB VRAM

So now my problem is this acer with a gt 750m wigh 4 gig but a 17w processor vs the lenovo.

Have to weigh the risk of bottle necking vs better card

I went ahead and started a new thread here

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1694611/low-watt-750m-4gb-vram-high-watt-740-2gb-vram.html

any help Is appreciated