GTA 5 FPS drops to a stand still

maddog11896

Estimable
Oct 2, 2014
So before I get way into this, here are my specs:

Model: CyberPowerPC GXI9200B
Processor: Intel Core i5-6500 3.20 GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 950 2GB VRAM (overclocked)
RAM: 8GB

I don't think heat is an issue. On idle, my PC is usually anywhere between 70-90 degrees fahrenheit depending upon the house temperature. During graphically intense gaming, it gets up to 160 degrees but that's about the maximum.
(I'll list more if need be/asked)

I feel like I should be able to play the game on at least medium settings comfortably. In fact, I did earlier this year and last year. But the lag is interesting. When I first get into the game, it runs fine between 50-60 FPS while it's on roughly medium settings. I usually have 200-300MB of VRAM to spare out of a little over 2000MB. But like I said, it runs fine at the start. I can actually run it on completely maximum settings, way over recommended and it still runs fine. But after 15-20 minutes it starts to get a little choppy (especially while driving) and after 30 minutes, it's just a mess, in the 20 FPS range. I should also note that I have ran the game on the absolute lowest settings as well and this still happened.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why it's doing this. Especially considering it ran fine before on this same exact machine. Also yes, all the drivers and everything are up to date. I'm trying to keep reinstalling the game as an absolute last resort because I live in a rural area so no joke, installing GTA 5 takes about 15-25 hours of continuous downloading.

UPDATE: So I've noticed that GTA 5 uses loads of RAM and when I was getting the FPS drops was when it was using close to or over 90% of the RAM. Currently tried running the game with a program in the background that constantly is freeing up RAM space. So far, so good. Keeping the memory usage in the 50% to 75% range seems to do the trick.

maddog11896

Estimable
Oct 2, 2014

Yes, it still does it. I used to think it was something with temperature as well but I've concluded that's not it either.