GTX 960M 2GB vs. 4GB VRAM

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 12, 2013
I've been looking into some different laptops and settled for two models. They both have a GTX 960M, one has 2GB VRAM, and the other one has 4GB of VRAM. I had already bought the 2GB version to see how it performed (it actually performed better than I expected).
I was wondering if it would be necessary for games like GTA V to send the 2GB version back and get the 4GB version instead. I've heard a lot about how the GTX 960M would be too weak of a GPU to even handle the 4GB. On the other hand I've seen some desktop 960 comparissons and the 4GB version seemed a lot more stable; there were a lot less FPS drops.
What would be the best way to go, emphasising that I play a lot of GTA V? Keep the 2GB VRAM version or get the 4GB VRAM version?

Thank you all in advance!

Richard_124

Commendable
Apr 14, 2016
I have the Y50-70 with the GTX 960m 4GB and it actually runs GTA V on high to very high settings. GTA V actually indicates the amount of GPU memory used and it's well over 2GB. Framerates are smooth (mostly 40-50) although it's not constant 60 obviously as this is an entry-level gaming laptop. However, since the memory usage is well over 2GB (2500~3000) and framerates are still smooth, I would argue that there actually is a reason to get the 4GB version. I do not have the same laptop with a 2GB 960M version to run a side-by-side comparison though, so there's no 100% proof to my statement. It could be that the 2GB version gives the same FPS but I doubt it, with the high memory usage.

As to the 4K version Kamil_Bukalski - the GTX 960M will struggle with almost every game to give smooth framerates at that resolution. Most users I've read that have the 4K Y50-70, actually change the resolution to 1080P to make games playable. However even in that case - I think the 4GB version is the best choice, especially since the cost difference is minimal if it's there at all.

MastersonMarty

Commendable
Apr 28, 2016
I have a Lenovo Y50 with a GTX 960M 4GB of VRAM and it plays most games, including GTA V, on VERY HIGH or even ULTRA settings without going under 30FPS.

GTA V looks and plays fantastically with this GPU. I've connected my laptop to a 27" BENQ monitor and it looks awesome.

Why the hell would you go for 2 GB of VRAM when you can get 4GB for a little more money?! Who ever said that 2GB of VRAM on the graphics card was the same as the 4GB version is an idiot — my friend has the 2 GB version and it doesn't run the same games nearly as smoothly on very high/ultra settings as my rig.

I also play a lot of ARMA 3 Multiplayer and this baby rocks that game on mostly ultra settings.

4GB of VRAM all the way son ;)

iAchilles

Estimable
Jan 18, 2016

would u pls state ur fps on other games, per say Shadow of Mordor or Quantum Break or other games? since i believe i have a 2 GB varient of 960M and it plays GTA V smoothly like u explained ....
i wanna see the difference in practice

madgame1230

Commendable
May 11, 2016
Something worth noting that doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet - not all games are developed to use resources the same way. Some games thrive on having more VRAM available to them than others.

That said, personally, I'd prefer to have MORE VRAM available at my disposal than not. There's no telling what games I might be interested in a year or two, and one of the biggest problems with laptops is their limited life span in terms of obsolescence. By getting the 4GB model you're essentially ensuring a little bit longer use out of your laptop before it's unable to play most games at desirable settings.

Luckily, external GPU enclosures are becoming more prevalent so you'll be able to gain a little more longevity out of your laptop through that venue. If it were me, I'd get the 4 GB version.

bball_1523

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
So if I want a 960m laptop to keep around for 3-5 years if not longer, would a 2gb or 4gb version would be better for playing future games at at least medium with 30 or more fps?

madgame1230

Commendable
May 11, 2016

The 4Gb VRAM version will be a little more future proof than the 2Gb version. You might consider investing a little more money and going with a laptop that has a GTX 970m if you can, that will get more time out of your money, but I definitely understand having to adhere to a budget too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS