SirMarchboy

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016
I have a broken GTX 560m Card in my Toshiba Qosmio x775 Laptop. The card Bricked some time ago, and gives me an error in device manager. Since then If i install the drivers from Nvidia, the device will show up, but upon restarting the computer to finish reinstalling it the computer will crash and crash till you disable it. I want to replace this, as buying a new computer entirely will be to costly, but I don't know if its possible. I would assume if I have a 560m I can just take it in to a store that does repairs and just have them swap it out, but if that's possible is it also possible to upgrade it to a 580m? After some google searching I cant fine anything telling me they are different sizes, and they are the same type from what i read can I just upgrade? I'm really sorry, I don't know much about computer hardware and thought i would ask. Any input would be much appreciated.

Solution
Generally not easily serviceable.

Lookup Qosmio x775 teardown videos and you can see the work involved.

As for a replacement GPU, I think it is replaceable, but it may not be the problem itself. Could be the motherboard, so it would be a risk to try and get just a GPU.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/attachments/7-jpg.76471/

I think that must be an MXM-B card, however, they aren't always the same shape/size, so it would be risky to get one and have it not fit. Oh, and you should stick to the 75W TDP or less of the 560m, more and you risk overheating. Most of the x60m class GPUs should fit the bill.

Getting ahold of a non-bootable laptop identical or similar to yours might be another option to strip it for parts.

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
Generally not easily serviceable.

Lookup Qosmio x775 teardown videos and you can see the work involved.

As for a replacement GPU, I think it is replaceable, but it may not be the problem itself. Could be the motherboard, so it would be a risk to try and get just a GPU.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/attachments/7-jpg.76471/

I think that must be an MXM-B card, however, they aren't always the same shape/size, so it would be risky to get one and have it not fit. Oh, and you should stick to the 75W TDP or less of the 560m, more and you risk overheating. Most of the x60m class GPUs should fit the bill.

Getting ahold of a non-bootable laptop identical or similar to yours might be another option to strip it for parts.

Solution