Guess Epic's Most Profitable Game Ever (Hint: Not on PC)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
you should sell your game globally.. and lower your price to 15-20usd range. that will drive piracy to down... in the end you get all the profits.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]elcentral[/nom]na the power consumption in smart phones will hinder true power. But before windows and sony puts out the next gen it will be close, altho i really dont care im a pc only guy got nokia n8 for photos so all my gaming is in pc.[/citation]
Then again, on such small screens, it won't be a problem to render the games very low res, with upscaling and some filtering to make them look better, so basically they don't need nearly as much power.

G

develop a AAA game with very little overhead

Lol, does anyone else see this as an oxymoron? I don't know about you guys, but I've never played a free to play game that I would call AAA. I don't even think I've ever played a free to play game that I would call A... DFO, Rusty Hearts, APB, HoN, Global Agenda, Spiral Knights... that's all off the top of my head and 99% of the time they turn into a Korean grindfest pretty quickly and/or have grossly overpriced cash shops (I'm talking like $15 for an in game shirt or $20 for a ONE MONTH LEASE on a gun, as in you have to pay again the next month). This doesn't even include mobile games, which while some are great time wasters, I wouldn't rate any higher than C for being so limited.

The very problem with free to play games is they are designed with "little overhead." You can't expect to make a AAA product with C effort...

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Infinity Blade is a boring ass game. Not to mention on my old 3GS it was also laggy. They make it seem like the graphics are so amazing, yet the actual gameplay is an on-rails style game so it's not really that impressive.

The game can be summed up like this:
1) See an enemy, tap him start fighting
2) Slash, dodge, slash, dodge, block, slash (in varying order)
3) Defeat enemy
4) Go on to next enemy and repeat the same moves
5) Customize your character for more repetitive fighting

redgarl

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
"Download Crysis 3 for free and play with pistols and kinves... or purchase the riffles for 5$ and rent the super bazooka for 10$ for 5 days..."

Serisouly?

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
The buffer for the individual against the Free-to-Play model is simply intelligence. Don't jump into a free-to-play game on day one, wait to find out how much stuff is going to be available when, and then only buy what you really want or actually contributes to the gameplay. I agree that the free-to-play model is very sketchy right now, but it has potential to get better. Most DLC is crap anyways, stuff you don't really need. How many DLCs have been simply skins for characters? Or a shortcut to something you can otherwise get by playing the game? I've bought exactly two DLCs in the past five or six years, and both were when they were on sale.

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
[citation][nom]v3nom777[/nom]This is not a world that I want to live in. Call me old fashioned, but I would like all of my games content at the purchase of said game.It might be more profitable, but all those games pretty much suck, and they don't last more than two weeks.[/citation]

I'm right there with ya man. I hate hearing this news. its bad enough we get a bunch of console ported crap. I cant even stand to play games on a tablet or andriod ios whatever device. PC or nothing.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Well I have been meaning to spend more time outside anyway so maybe this whole Free-to-play/Pay-to-win scheme will be good for me in the long run.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
Just when you think the gaming industry is getting big, it digresses into bite-sized shovel ware. I guess that's what happens in a society where people don't have time to actually sit down and enjoy anything anymore. We are now a society full of interruptions and AD/HD. Won't be long before it burns itself out at this rate. All because of a lack of patience and surplus of greed. Moremoremorenownownowfasterfasterfaster. This micro crap is paving the road to hell.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
I love Sweeney, really I do. Talks about how his new engine is so powerful and demanding that even the Wii U can't run it, yet also says the future of gaming is on the device with the least amount of processing power available. So you think tablets are the future, but you don't support a console who's primary focus is the tablet controller?

Someone really needs to tell this guy he isn't the spokesperson for the gaming industry.

G

"man-hours versus revenue".... seriously? that's how you use the phrase "most profitable" in the title?

i'm tired of these turd journalists who falsely title their turd articles because they can't get people interested in whatever turd they are writing.

go be a troll on some forum, you don't deserve to get paid for what you do.

Steveymoo

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
You keep using that word "free," I do not think it means what you think it means.

Seriously though, it's amazing how "free" games encourage people to spend more than you would on a full game. I hope they adopt a "pay once, or p2p" gaming model, and still pour the same amount of artistic talent, and enthusiasm into their games.

Also, I don't think I've played any "free" games that I've particularly enjoyed so far. The content is just never even slightly compelling. I mean, I like my games to be laden with emotional, brow sweating content. Is that too much to ask? "Free" games just don't cut it right now - They always feel like cheap knock-offs of the real thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.