Guild Wars 2 and Diablo 3 Laptop.

G

Hello Community!

D3 has been out for the last 2months and Guild Wars is being released soon. Need some advice on a laptop.

I would like to play at Ultra settings at 1920x1080 or i could go lower res (which i perfer not)

Wondering if anyone in the community has personal expereince with D3 and GW2 beta at highest possible setting with smooth gameplay and can recommend me a laptop.

My budget would be between $1200-$1500 maxed with tax in (I live in Toronto Canada).

I was thinking of:

Lenovo Y580 with GTX660M i7-3610QM (1920x1080) $1149.00 + tax (sale price) Comes with and added 1TB 5400RPM + 32GBSSD (don't know why its not a 7200)

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/webca/LenovoPortal/en_CA/builder.workflow:Enter?mtm-item=%3A000001CA%3A00001377%3A

or

Sager 9130 with GTX670M i7-3610QM (1920x1080) $1153.00 + tax Comes with 500GB 7200rpm

or

whatever you guys recommend.......

Solution
Well my friend should be giving me more information later but with his 1.7Ghz integrated graphics AMD quadcore, he can play at medium with no lag at all (he is well above 30FPS always and usually around 50fps). He is probably running at 1366 x 768 though... :(

My other friend is running just under fully maxed out and will give me his build and more details later. It is apparently more graphics intensive than he thought when he was telling me before. You may need a GTX 670M to max is out all the way according to him.

v90k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012

Both good choices, mainly i7, 670m, and 8 gigs of memory is where to look at everything else is a bonus.

G

The Y580 comes with 660m only. Will that hinder performance for those two games. I will not be playing BF3 or anything.....

Anyone with personal expereince with these two games on a laptop?

DarkOutlaw

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
No dont go with the i7, it will get to hot. I have an i5 laptop that over heated five times playing D3 during the release weekend at a LAN party. I was using the intel graphics, which didnt help, but heat is gonna be your enemy with D3 on a laptop.

mouse24

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010

the 7670M has had horrible support problems.

No dont go with the i7, it will get to hot. I have an i5 laptop that over heated five times playing D3 during the release weekend at a LAN party. I was using the intel graphics, which didnt help, but heat is gonna be your enemy with D3 on a laptop.

Uh, what? I don't think D3 even uses more then 2 cores, check the cpu scaling benchmarks. If your laptop was overheating I would return it and get a better model.

For gaming, go with whatever laptop has the best GPU in your price range. GTX 675m is an excellent choice! I wouldn't go under that though.

+1 for the most part hes right.

I would choose the Sager 9130 out of the ones there. Hmm, but I might go with a 2.8ghz i3 over a 1.3ghz i5 (I dunno what the clocks are of those laptops you specified but I'm just sayin, for D3 clock speed is more relevant than cpu core count)

Haven't played GW2 so I have no insight on that.

DarkOutlaw

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012

The i5 is a dual core chip in laptops. I think mine is the i5-430m. Intel's integrated graphics are a part of the CPU. The moral of the story is that laptops can only take so much heat. Unless you have something like an inch and a half thick alienware computer with fans out the wazoo, most gaming will be bottlenecked by heat.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
Right now GW2 is designed to be more cpu dependent (for performance) than gpu. I do not know about D3. However I think you will only be marginally with the performance of a laptop with that game. I have played all the beta events and when talking to friends on laptops they were not very happy campers. GL

mouse24

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010

Yeah the game is VERY unoptimized, they have come out and stated that multiple times and that they are working on it.

I hope to see big improvements in performance in this coming beta event.

The i5 is a dual core chip in laptops. I think mine is the i5-430m. Intel's integrated graphics are a part of the CPU. The moral of the story is that laptops can only take so much heat. Unless you have something like an inch and a half thick alienware computer with fans out the wazoo, most gaming will be bottlenecked by heat.

Yeahhhh, I bet I look really dumb right now :s. So since an i5 is a dual core, whats the difference between an i3 and i5?

rubbateckie

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
Frankly, from what my friends on the GW2 beta have told me - a 650M should destroy GW2 with a mid range i5. It is a game designed to be playable on a variety of machines so its top end isnt even that intensive.
I have seen reviews with solid i5's with 630M's play diablo 3 on high settings at 1080. But I do not know how accurate these reviews are. I will try to find some and link them for you.
But I would expect that your two choices should destroy both games!
From what I can tell even a 650M should be able to play these games close to ultra settings at 1080p (ie, Asus N56VZ, Dell Inspiron 15/17R Special Editions, etc)

Just to let you know, most of these "gaming" mid range laptops won't have a 7200 RPM 1TB for a while they are still quite expensive. Its cheaper for them to go with the 32GB msata hybrid... :(

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
You can not find any because the game is still in beta and we will not be able to get meaningful benchmarks until September. The game launches to the public on Aug. 28th. Need to give it a bit work out some kinks then benching is reasonable. Your main issues on a laptop will probably be related to toon control and viewing perspective. Also it will be interesting to see how a lappy holds up in the WvW battles with hundreds of players running around.

G

Thanks for the replace DogSnake.

sigh* that's why im hoping someone that is in beta can at least give me someone insight on it.....

rubbateckie

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012

I am not a fan of the hybrids either. I'd jsut rather get the 7200RPM. Similar to almost better performance as some of the cheaper hybrids.
My friends will be playing it this weekend so I will try to gather some info because I want to know as well! I have a friend on a quadcore AMD APU without a dedicated card, so I am curious about if he can even play it!

hwangchan

Honorable
Feb 14, 2012
curious.. is your 1080 res request for the laptop screen, or are you planning on utilizing a separate monitor / tv?

as others have stated, your laptop search should focus on the video card. Integrated graphics (intel 3000)will likely struggle to give decent frame rate on the external display, and overheating is a concern, not from CPU but from GPU processing.
Also watch out for Radeon graphics, many laptops advertize ati graphics with model number(4250 for example) but is actually integrated not a dedicated card.
Laptops that advertize nvidia graphics, last i checked, were safely dedicated and can be cross referenced on Toms charts.

For a gaming laptop, a cooling pad is nearly a must.

G

I'm used to playing at 2560x1440 or 1920x1080. I think going lower would hinder my gaming expereince. =( Its more of a request.....

I have a laptop cooler....

I just want what most mobile gamers what...to be able to be mobile while running the game at ultra settings without setting me back $2000.00.

hwangchan

Honorable
Feb 14, 2012
I'm used to playing at 2560x1440 or 1920x1080. I think going lower would hinder my gaming expereince. =( Its more of a request.....

I ask mostly because many laptops use lower resolution screens to keep cost down / make more efficient use of GPU scheme... To get a laptop with the 1080 screen is one challenge, with a good or great dedicated GPU another challenge. A few friends use thier laptop with an external monitor, though the GPU can usually only display certain resolutions.

I myself just went towards the laptop gaming but i was severely limited in budget. I am gaming at 1370x770 and I have to say, resolution wise its not so bad. On a 15" screen its not so noticeable a difference in rez than from a 25" with higher rez, except in certain RTS games, where i miss the extra map space / smaller menu areas.

What I do miss is shader effects, graphic textures and distance effects which my integrated GPU just cant provide.

My advice if your looking between models, is to accept a lower res screen with the best GPU your budget allows. Most CPUs bundled to a dedicated GPU will be higher end, or at least high end for that generation of chip if its slightly older design, and thus likely not a huge concern. i5 dual core wont be future proof, but should handle GW2 and diablo3 fine.