Guy Uses Craigslist to Trade Phone Up to Porsche

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

distanted

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
He's not exactly the business guru the bloggers want to paint him. He spent most of his last 2 years on a website trading up to a car he couldn't afford to maintain. Anybody with a part-time job could have done better.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
You forget to include that he spend 5~6 hours a day on Craigslist for 2 years looking for good deals (for swap). If he has spent the time doing part time, he could get something a lot better.

velozzity

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Yeah Ok, hes smart enough and thrifty enought to purchase used things on craigslist but doesn't know how to or can't learn how change his own oil. there is no way you can convince me that by doing your own labor, a oil change or even a tune up costs any where near $150 or $1000 respectively. You can buy the best oil made, Mobil 1, in a 5qt jug at walmart for 25 dollars and the filters are probably like at max 10 bucks, so thats 35 dollars and 30 minutes time every 2 or 3 months. On the issue of tune up spark plugs don't cost that much, furthermore it shouldn't need but one every few years or so, so that cost is blown out of proportion too. Props to the kid for being street smart but booo for being too lazy to change his own oil.

chaoski

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Its like gambling, at the end of the day he will end up with NOTHING

Cars are the most depreciating asset MOST people have.

10 year old German car with no warranty does not sound good to me (or my wallet).

zampolit

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Parking in the yard...$300 yard repair....doors left oopen for picture(for some goofy reason)...wind caught its $2k repair...wearing black socks and white shoes at a photoshoot where you thought you looked cool...priceless

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I'm more interested in knowing what's special about the Bronco from this story, why is it worth 15K? Is that OJ's Bronco?

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
[citation][nom]guitarman1234[/nom]What this doesn't mention and the article on Yahoo did is that he spends 5 hours a day on Craigslist looking for just the right deals, and this took him two years. If he just got a minimum wage job, he could have earned $15,600 in two years. (let's say $6/hr x 25 hours a week x 52 weeks a year x 2 years)[/citation]
Minimum wage jobs are taxed so your numbers need to be worked to account for that.

distanted

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
I gota admit, for 'joke' of a sports car, that car would have attracted a lot of girls in my high school. And if I had to, I would have pushed it up to the parking lot every morning at 5:30 and rolled it home at 6pm.

simple_inhibition

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2008
$150 for an oil change and $1,000 for a tune up

kid needs to learn to do it himself. i would say no more than $40 for the oil and filter and maybe 2hrs time (for the first time) for an oil change done by himself. dunno about the tune up, depends on how much of a PITFA it is to get to the plugs

fracture

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
If he tried to register the car then he would of have to pay taxes on it or registration fees. My friend bought a 88 BMW 325xi for one dollar. He brought it back to register it and they told him that since the car is worth 4 grand, he has to pay taxes on the 4 grand instead of the 1 dollar that he bought it for.

Status
Not open for further replies.