Guy Uses Craigslist to Trade Phone Up to Porsche

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Wow! He got a porsche for a phone!? The article says he spent 5-6 hours per day for two years to make this happen. So, if my math is right, at the legal minimum wage, and with him working 50 weeks at a minimum of 25 hours per week, he put in about 2500 hours of work. Had he received min wage, he would have made over $17,000 (guaranteed, and maybe got a raise). He could have been the only kid in school to have a Porsche and year of public college paid for (or maybe some bling)!! Dumbass. He worked for about $3.50/hr.

Unfortunately, many people will see this as "get rich at home" when actually it's "stay poor at home".

It's also like the amount of productive time wasted on Facebook in a day. If you add up all the hours this country spends on Facebook doing, basically, nothing, then how can we possibly say we're poor?? If people donated just 10% of that collective time to something productive or charitable, imagine where we could be (public service, habitat for humanity, whatever). Facebook is the devil!

improviz

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Eh. Maybe it's like that series of Corvettes they made, where a tuneup was over $1000 because literally, to get at the 4 rear sparkplugs to change them, you had to drop the engine. It's all in the labor. And true enough, he sure wasted a lot of time on CL, when he could have been earning a buck. Maybe he should start a CL consulting business, helping people get the most for their "item", LOL. And yeah, FB (and posting comments to online stories like this on) is a huge time-sink. Agreed. The US probably loses several Billion $$ a month to FB goofing off.

scrumworks

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
[citation][nom]tacoslave[/nom]i cant believe nobody has said anything about how this guy looks at least 37 and not 17.[/citation]

I was going to, but then I found about his dream about Cadillac.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Ewww an escalade. It's like a large rectangle on 4 wheels *barf* that porsche at least people behind it can see around it in traffic.

Spike53

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
[citation][nom]zampolit[/nom]Agree, the 2000 Boxster S is worthless. I would of sold the Bronco but I think 9k is really high. No real "porsche" guy will ever call a boxster a porsche so they have absolute value other than laughing at the guy who bought it.(which is another story...a guy?! Didn't they even have a full Two and a Half Men episode making fun of guys driving boxsters?) lol[/citation]
True, Boxsters are weak but at 17, thats some kick-ass car to have.Especially when you go from a cell phone to a Boxster in 2 years. How many people in your High School has Porsches?

theLaminator

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Man at 17 I'd have wanted the Bronco, hell I still want a Bronco. The Bronco is just a lot more practical a vehicle for me...aside from the shoddy mpg

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
HAHA, this reminds me of an episode in Star Trek Deep Space Nine where the Ferengi boy Nog and Siskos son Jake are trading and loaning things out to buy his dad a 1951 willie maze baseball card. Same concept, find someone who has something of value to someone else and make a profit in it by being the middleman.

geofry

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I say good on this kid. What does your typical teenager do to get money? Beg mom and dad for it most likely. If they have a job most are not disciplined enough not to piss it away on stupid shit.

It may be a Boxter, but then again how nice is the Porche you drive?....oh wait that's right you don't have one, not even a sports car? (A Honda Civic with stickers and a fat exhaust pipe is not a sports car.)

I'm sure he'll be laughing all the way to the bank in a brand new Porche by his mid-twenties while the rest of you dopes are still living at home with mom and dad.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]zampolit[/nom]Agree, the 2000 Boxster S is worthless. I would of sold the Bronco but I think 9k is really high. No real "porsche" guy will ever call a boxster a porsche so they have absolute value other than laughing at the guy who bought it.(which is another story...a guy?! Didn't they even have a full Two and a Half Men episode making fun of guys driving boxsters?) lol[/citation]
He's a high schooler and has a Porsche, it doesn't matter which kind it is, that car will bring in the girls, which is what all high school boys want anyway.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Everyone is saying "He could've got a job and done it", but that isn't the point. The point is he didn't need a job to do what he did. It's also increased his financial intelligence, something which he would not have done with a job.

Good on him I say.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
jellico 07/22/2010 3:50 PM Hide -2+

welshmousepk :

wonder how long before the government try to tax him on his 'earnings'. good on him though, the kid obviously has very good business sense.

"Technically, he hasn't realized a gain yet, so his "earnings" are not taxable. It's not until he actually sells one of these items that the earnings become realized, and hence, taxable. And for those interesting, it would be his realized gain (sale price less his basis, which is the cost of the original phone) times the capital gains tax rate which, in 2010, was 15%, but for 2011 and beyond will be based on your highest marginal tax rate.

This is the same thing that happens with guys like Bill Gates and Steve Jobs. Most of their net worth is in the stock that they hold. However, until they actually sell it, it isn't taxed."

I don't know where your from pal, but uncle sam here in the states taxes everything 3 times and esp. anything bartered (goods/services rendered) try asking your local tax agent, i'm pretty sure they do this in every country to keep alot of people from avoiding paying taxes.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Good lord! Why in the world would an oil change cost $150 on any car? You can get an oil change at Oil Can Henry's with Castrol Edge full synthetic oil for under $100. In most cars the oil will last for 5,000 miles in city driving and 8,000 to 10,000 miles (maybe more) if you do mostly highway driving. On more common lower end cars that aren't high end sports cars this is true even with conventional oil.

lalandev

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008
Now he's looking for something a bit more economical – a Cadillac Escalade

Wow, what an economical car... (sigh) Will people understand one day that, if you're not obese or have 4 children, you don't need a SUV.

We are a normal family with 2 kids fitting confortably in our Lexus IS 250 AWD...

Status
Not open for further replies.