Hacker Breaches 79 Banks, Releases Data of 1,700 Accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
WTF?
50gigs for a 113pg text file???????
I don't think so, try again, maybe 50kb....
Unless there's crap piggybacked into the files... beware.

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
"names, addresses, e-mail addresses, and phone numbers in unencrypted text" Lol you can get lots of this information with a simple google search. He is probably scared of getting caught, good choice Reckz0r. btw the size has to be a typo.

porksmuggler

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
If you're interested in the story, maybe just google Reckz0r. This snippet is so poorly written, you would be better served reading the details elsewhere.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]webbwbb[/nom]Anyone else curious as to how a single page of data can be ~450MB?[/citation]

I think it would take about 50 GB of ram to open a 100 page text file with firefox, but yeah it has to be a typo.

Also kind of funny saying "I'm going white hat, BTW here's a bunch of stuff I stole from banks" Your actions are dynamically opposed to your words, and guess what speaks louder?

If they were really going white hat, they would a) notified the banks, b) reported a bug / exploit to the software vendor that he exploited, c) wait for bug to be patched, d )listed the banks they got the data from

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
You are not a 'whitehat'; If I was your judge you would be a 'life' hat !
Happy times in the showers you anti-social moron !

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
I am sorry if I harmed you, or affected your families," the hacker writes. "This is my departure from the hacking scene. I am no-longer a hacker, I'm a whitehat."

names, addresses, e-mail addresses, and phone numbers

Does he realize that he just made a lot of spamming advertisers happy?

G

He was most likely bought off by some corporation or government.

It's just to much fun for the challenge and reward. Not financial but

to know (or say) I did it. If I were him I would only turn if the law

made me a deal I couldn't refuse or someone paid me to.

gerchokas

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
[citation][nom]webbwbb[/nom]Anyone else curious as to how a single page of data can be ~450MB?[/citation]

A pdf with a 8192pt-size font? Still scratching my head at this...

I am no-longer a hacker, I'm a whitehat.

Sooo everybody forgot your criminal actions - you were not taken to jail and you've been marrily employed by some company now. This makes perfect sense.

u_hsen

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
i wonder why these kinds of stories only are posted on tomshardware but not CNN or USAToday? I wonder the legitimates of these stories. you got to wonder a hacker hacked over 79 banks is not a big enough news for CNN?

G

Look it up elsewhere, the data was apparently stolen from some other hacker and is hopelessly outdated. You probably aren't hearing about this anywhere else, because they all did their homework.

syddraf

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]I think it would take about 50 GB of ram to open a 100 page text file with firefox, but yeah it has to be a typo.Also kind of funny saying "I'm going white hat, BTW here's a bunch of stuff I stole from banks" Your actions are dynamically opposed to your words, and guess what speaks louder?If they were really going white hat, they would a) notified the banks, b) reported a bug / exploit to the software vendor that he exploited, c) wait for bug to be patched, d )listed the banks they got the data from[/citation]

actually it's not uncommon for these people to breach a facilities security and then say, hey I did that how about a job? it's a resume hack because if you know how to do it you know how to stop it.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]Yeah, keep rolling everything into the cloud... its secure enough /end sarcasm![/citation]
This, this, a thousand times this.

The cloud is a buzzword and a fad. Companies see it as a magic solution to cut costs. Users see it as a magic solution to simplify their online lives.

I see it as nothing but a way to add a single point of failure to my online security.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]This, this, a thousand times this.The cloud is a buzzword and a fad. Companies see it as a magic solution to cut costs. Users see it as a magic solution to simplify their online lives.I see it as nothing but a way to add a single point of failure to my online security.[/citation]

i see it as a way to keep my saved game files up in the event of a coatastrofic power surge or hardware failur in my pc... but i want my financial info as far from the cloud as possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS