Hacker Holds Health Records Hostage for $10M

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

It's only a little over a dollar each, not too unreasonable...

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Additionally, for all of you arguing this guy's supposed 'intelligence':

The 'smart' thing to do would have been to copy the data to himself, leave their data intact, and do his best to cover his tracks. Hope that the intrusion goes unnoticed, at least long enough to sell the data and laugh all the way to the bank.

Pulling this stunt is going to bury him.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
I agree that his little note doesn't exactly paint the picture of a genius. It's also a little long-winded but who am I to judge. Either way, this is actually pretty serious, given the amount of personal data involved.

I can't understand the people saying "it's just over a dollar per person" and claiming that's not unreasonable. No one should have to pay (be it one dollar or one hundred) for something that is in no way their fault.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Well this guy is just a publicity hound. I mean if he really did do this, or did he just deface the page, he is just drawing even more attention to himself which means he will probably get caught and rightfully so. If he did do it he should have not said a word, sold the stuff, and all those that bought it would have to deal with it.

Now, this also goes to show just how stupid people in certain sectors are. I mean you would think that the Virginia Department of Health Professions would have that information locked down, but no, they just set it up and knew nothing of what it takes to make such things secure, or they just never thought it important enough to make sure of that. So much for all the so called benefits I am sure they talked up to get funding for this. I would never knowingly allow such information to even be put on the web for access regardless of the so called benefits and this is a clear indication why. Yet like a bunch of lemmings everyone just signs off on things like this only seeing the potential benefits not even thinking, much less considering the possiable disadvantages.

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
[citation][nom]dragonfang18[/nom]How is he gonna get the money, obviously they will wait for him at the pickup. If they transfer by internet, they can probably trace him, and eventually see him turn data into currency by camera at an ATM.[/citation]

Something tells me he's not gonna roll down to his local ATM and do a cash withdrawl for 10 million.

G

That's right Jane, I don't believe the people should pay to get the data out of that hackers hands. However, this appears to be a screwup of a government program, and I am glad they are taking the necessary steps to rectify the situation. If it comes down to them having to pay the hacker, and then tracking him down later, then they better well do it. This program wasn't designed to protect people, or give them any service. It was designed to accumulate prescription demographics in an effort to catch con artists or abusers looking for prescription drugs, all in the name of the War against Drug Abuse. The people responsible for the protection of this information... if it wasn't this hacker, it would have been another who found a way in down the road. I wish the people of Virginia the best.

elbert

Distinguished
Just wonder if the email is the hackers? If not I would hate to be the guy that made that email address. If the email is the hackers then he deserves jail time for being so dumb.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
What an idiot, does he honestly think he can get away with this. Not getting caught it one thing, but actually getting the ransom without getting caught is another. What's he going to do, pick it up in cash? Transfer it to a foreign bank account?

I'm betting this is just a joke and the hacker doesn't actually expect to get any money out of this.

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Obama's single database Universal Health Insurance plans are looking at little more bleak today when this type of reality sets in.

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Hacking to steal identities...health records...etc.

Just one of many definitions for a jack@ss.

I have no patience or respect for theives. If this guy was half as smart as he clearly thinks he is, he could make $10 million legally.

I hope he gets locked up and learns to do something productive one way or another so that he's not simply leaching tax dollars. That or be forced to run and have someone steal his ID and ruin his credit among other things...get an idea of what he's proposing to put other people through. Maybe slash his tires, break a window or two, rip out the deck (assuming he has a car). Bust into his house and steal his display and rig, or maybe just simply vandalize it. Because stealing and wrecking other people's stuff is cool right?

What a dick.

He's an embarassement to real hackers.

I expect 2 year olds and animals to wreck things because they don't know any better. By the time you hit 13 you're typically pretty much out of excuses.

Not that I have a strong opinion on this kind of thing... ;)

G

Dear everybody who praises or loves this kid: you're an idiot.

Probably walked right into their REMOTE DESKTOP that they left wide open and saw the tape back up logs said something to the effect of "Has not been backed up in 4 years - why did you fire your IT tech?"

You can only ransom data if you scare the victim into paying up to "make it go away" rather than make a fuss over it. No one is making 10million for this convenience. The idiot will be tracked and picked up OR will be told to sod off so he'll put the data on a cd, label it "rainy day /Smiley" and brag to his friends how hes a hypothetical gangster.

Real hackers ...you'd never know they were there...

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
to those banging on the 'hacker' for grammar, eh... why bother? to those that think he/she should be punished worse than your ordinary hooligan or miscreant are as deluded and misguided as those trying to correct this person's ransom writing skills. you're probably the types of people that would prefer flaws in security that, indeed, risk the privacy of millions rather than individuals bring them to light in any way possible. if those responsible for the security of these systems are too inept to secure them and be vigilant over them, then why not channel your anger towards them and the system responsible for these misqualified agents being placed in charge? why don't you bang on the doors of your representatives to get truely qualified technicians in to do the job that, apparently, was never done? who's more pathetic... this 'hacker' or those that defend the status quo of security by obscurity?

christop

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
This will never be pulled off.. Can't you track Ip address's .. But maybe he jacked an Ip send the message... I don't know but it is crazy..

G

Dumb like a fox. It was an inside job! How else would be know the backup tapes are missing?

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
While this is terrible, and I agree whoever did this is a dirtbag....I have to laugh at the wording of the ransom note.

"I have your shit!"

LMAO
Anyone ever see the movie Burn After Reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.