Hacker Holds Health Records Hostage for $10M

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hrafnthor

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
All movement of personal medical information over an open network, as the Internet, is forbidden by law here in Iceland exactly for this reason.

joz

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]elbert[/nom]Just wonder if the email is the hackers? If not I would hate to be the guy that made that email address. If the email is the hackers then he deserves jail time for being so dumb.[/citation]
Hopefully, he was smart enough to use a proxy (or more then one.)
while I don't condone this sort of action (stealing and deleting medical related date.) The fact that the old lady who just died of a heart attack makes me want to find that fucker myself and inject him with so many drugs and chemicals that he'll... *you get the message.*

cruiseoveride

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
And he used a Yahoo webmail account? Smart, very smart. Looks like we'll see him in jail in a few weeks.

Oh and wire him fake money, and wait for the first Lamborghini purchase with fake money.

mamw93

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
That's rich. What he's doing is A - Getting attention, B - Making a job for himself in this rough economy, or C - He just likes screwing with people.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
OK, here are my Three explanations...

1)I think it is a past employee or a person who had involvement creating the website.

A- They had a backdoor or a password to access the site. They (he/she/them) modified the site with the pathetic ransom note to make it seem like a 15yr old idiot in his mom’s basement hacked in and stole all the info. (poor attempt to throw authorities off)

B- They don’t have any personal info and are pulling a bluff…. WHY? Because clearly it would be easier to sell the info and cover your tracks as others have mentioned, then you may actually get away with this.
So basically I think someone internal logged onto the website made a silly ransom note in hopes they would get an easy payday.

2)He/She/Them really is idiots living in mom’s basement, and is already caught.

3)He/She/Them already sold the info and is pushing their luck to gain another 10mil in ransom.

I am no FBI profiler but this just seems obvious to me …. Someone internal logged onto the website made a silly ransom note in hopes they would get an easy payday, they have no info and are on thier way to prison as we speak.

G

He did it because he wants to the public to know things like this are possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.