Hackers Steal Data From T-Mobile, Trying to Sell

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
All these hacker horror stories lately are hitting the front pages for a reason. It's all just a part of the US govt's plan to regulate and control the internet, in much the same way as China. Don't believe it if you don't want to, but it's coming. We're going to start hearing more and more about "hackers" digging deeper into crucial systems. It will come to the point where "hacker" will be almost synonymous with "terrorist", and the government will have "no choice" but to regulate and control the US net to increase "security".

utopic

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
[citation][nom]magicandy[/nom]All these hacker horror stories lately are hitting the front pages for a reason. It's all just a part of the US govt's plan to regulate and control the internet, in much the same way as China. Don't believe it if you don't want to, but it's coming. We're going to start hearing more and more about "hackers" digging deeper into crucial systems. It will come to the point where "hacker" will be almost synonymous with "terrorist", and the government will have "no choice" but to regulate and control the US net to increase "security".[/citation]
you are so right...

duzcizgi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]magicandy[/nom]All these hacker horror stories lately are hitting the front pages for a reason. It's all just a part of the US govt's plan to regulate and control the internet, in much the same way as China. Don't believe it if you don't want to, but it's coming. We're going to start hearing more and more about "hackers" digging deeper into crucial systems. It will come to the point where "hacker" will be almost synonymous with "terrorist", and the government will have "no choice" but to regulate and control the US net to increase "security".[/citation]

I also tend to agree with you. Fight against hackers is done by closing security holes in systems, not by plugging into the wire. In fact, even if they'll be recording and regulating everything, a knowledgeable hacker will be able to work around those stuff as easy as entering a network. But as with the governments, it will make them possible to make normal people's lives a hell. (Have you ever noticed the insane *security* levels which, if you are a normal person, a real pain in the ***. But if you are a determined terrorist, I'm sure you'd find a way to down that plane.)

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]Guess I DON'T need a mobile makeover after all, even from Catherine Zeta-Jones.[/citation]
If she came knocking on my door, I would do her a big favor.

G

Very important difference I feel I should point out, a hacker is someone that modifies things to do what they want (building a computer in a microwave case, construction their own firewall, etc...), crackers are people (usually a hacker) that break into computer systems. Don't believe me? Look it up. Same as the difference between black hat and white hat.

G

If I where a concurrent company, I would buy the data, immediately seal it (preferably without reading it), contact a lawyer, and get the legal system working.

It would be an honorable deed!

You always have to think: "what would I want if someone stole and sold my company data to concurrence?, what would I want the other company to do?"

Even if they don't have real data, and are bluffing, they can be sewed for not selling the material they agreed on on the sale.
There are a lot of crimes on selling other company data; good for 5 or 10 years behind bars!

rantsky

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
I call it fake...

Nonetheless, if this is for real, my suggestion to T-Mobile:
SPAM THEM TO DEATH!!

Fill them up with so many fraudulent "buy offers" they never find the real ones. Pour emails on them in the thousands. At least it should keep them occupied until they're tracked down..

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
"The statement went on to detail that there was no customer information contained in the document, nor does the T-Mobile security system show any evidence of a breach."

Then they have no intrusion detection and/or logging. Don't worry people; your information was not compromise because T-Mobile said so. I am also Santa... because I say so. Maybe T-Mobile does not want to lose customers for compromising data.

G

Oh yea, AT&T, better data security, substantially inferior network. I'm sure you're happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.