Haiti: Man Uses iPhone and Camera to Survive

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
Not to be Debbie Downer, but how in the world did his iPhone battery last 3 days? My wife's iPhone 3GS is dead after 1 day...

Furthermore, I'm amazed the cell phone towers were operational after the earthquake, if they only built them that well in the states.

G

hahahahahhaa..what a douchebag........looking for a Jared/Subway commercial

phoenix777

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]tsnorquist[/nom]Not to be Debbie Downer, but how in the world did his iPhone battery last 3 days? My wife's iPhone 3GS is dead after 1 day... Furthermore, I'm amazed the cell phone towers were operational after the earthquake, if they only built them that well in the states.[/citation]

well, I'm sure he didn't use his iPhone for entertainment while down there. After he went through everything in that article, he probably put it on standby with that alarm on. Cell phone towers? you don't need cell phone reception to use the Apps

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
[citation][nom]tsnorquist[/nom]Not to be Debbie Downer, but how in the world did his iPhone battery last 3 days? My wife's iPhone 3GS is dead after 1 day... Furthermore, I'm amazed the cell phone towers were operational after the earthquake, if they only built them that well in the states.[/citation]

I'm pretty sure the did most of this during first day on the day of the quake...

and whatever app he used, I'm sure he already had it on his iPhone and were not able to connect to anywhere for past 3 days and hoping someone would find his farewell note on his iPhone if he died....

thankfully he was able to treat his wound and keep himself awake during critical first day.....

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
Battery could last 3 days if it was in flight mode and not polling for a signal every 5 min.
Mind you I would rather have it looking for a signal on the off chance.

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
Check theregister.co.uk for the full story on this one.
Makes much more sense about how his battery lasted etc etc.

Surprised Tom's didn't just lift the story from that site as usual tbh.

CrashOverride90

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
very nice! That guy must have had strong will power and great common sense to treat a compound fracture all by himself, remain calm, and use what he had to stay alive.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
If the cell towers WERE working and I got reception. I'd send a text to a friend, and update google latitude.

"I'm alive, Check map, look for elevator, peace out"

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]plasmastorm[/nom]Check theregister.co.uk for the full story on this one.Makes much more sense about how his battery lasted etc etc.[/citation]

So basically because the Register had a one line, tongue in cheek remark that he must have had it on flight mode to make it last for three days, it makes much more sense? Other readers have already drawn the conclusion that it "must have been in standby." Heck, even when I was writing it I wondered whether it was in flight mode or not.

In the interviews I watched (and I watched more than one), Woolley never specified how long the battery lasted. People complain when we make assumptions and include anything but the facts in articles. Then, people complain that we should have included either our own assumptions, or the assumptions of a reporter on another site.

Chalking this one up to, "Damned if you do, damned if you don't."

Firehead2k

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
Also I'm fairly sure that being short-sighted, even if he actually is short sighted, had nothing to do with him taking pictures to see where he was in the darkness.

Zoonie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
Hehe sounds almost like a PR story. :D
Seriously though people, Survival 101 - Torniques are mostly used in Hollywood movies. It can easily cause ischemia of the wound and an anaerobic infection leaving you with an extremity that must be amputated. Unless you have a massive wound, some pressure (with the hand) applied an inch before the wound - not on it - should suffice. Just as a FYI :)
If the guy in the story could walk, there was probably no massive wound :)

G

Not to belittle his situation, but i find it sad that he needed an iphone app to realize that he needed to put a bandage on his wounds. If i were burried in a collapsed building, bleeding uncontrollably from multiple wounds, the first thing i would have thought was "well, i better find something to stop all this bleeding before i pass out", not "i wonder what my iPhone app says i should do about all this bleeding..." Oh well. Need common sense? There's an app for that...

Status
Not open for further replies.