Solved! Halo, I need clarification on buying wideangle zoom lense for Nikon d7200. Is it really need lower aperture lenses for widela

Dec 27, 2018
Halo, I need clarification on buying wideangle zoom lense for Nikon d7200. Is it really need lower aperture lenses for widelandscaping,shaper images, or lower price higher aperture lenses? Explain the difference?

Solution
Larger apertures or smaller f/stops such as f/1.4 are used to have blur or depth of field. Smaller apertures or larger f/stops such as f/8 are used to have everything in the image to be sharp. So if you are taking a picture of say a mountain and the surroundings, you would want to have a smaller aperture to keep everything sharp. But if you were taking a picture of say a tree with something in the background, you would want to have a larger aperture.
Jul 6, 2018
Larger apertures or smaller f/stops such as f/1.4 are used to have blur or depth of field. Smaller apertures or larger f/stops such as f/8 are used to have everything in the image to be sharp. So if you are taking a picture of say a mountain and the surroundings, you would want to have a smaller aperture to keep everything sharp. But if you were taking a picture of say a tree with something in the background, you would want to have a larger aperture.

Solution

vincentneo

Great
Dec 25, 2018

Great explanation above. But another point I would want to add, that is, if you want to lens to perform as sharp as possible, it is always a few aperture/ fstops smaller than the largest available. Lets say you have a f/1.4 lens, but its peak sharpness is usually at f5.6. If you have a f/3.5 lens, sharpest will be at f/8 for example.

Also larger apertures allows for better low light performance as it lets more light into your camera sensor. And vice versa.