Halo: Reach Owners Reporting Disc Read Errors

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]aaron92[/nom]Let's all jump to conclusions that it's automatically the consumer's fault. ಠ_ಠ[/citation]

It probably is...

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]aaron92[/nom]I'm a pc gamer but I've always loved the Halo series, being a fanboy of anything is not a good thing.Consoles are fun too, and plus not everyone can afford a X58 system with a 200$+ gfx card.[/citation]
I have a graphics card that cost me $60 that can push out higher res, more FPS and features above Xbox's fixed limit of DX9.
Also, Steam games don't require physical disk so no read errors.
Not having Halo isn't such a biggie by comparison.

Wheat_Thins

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
[citation][nom]supertrek32[/nom]Some of the discs simply weren't burned correctly. When you go to burn tens of millions of discs, a few thousand aren't going to work. This happens with every major game release. MS has a very nice policy on it compared to some companies, though. They'll replace the disc for free.[/citation]

Production discs (Movies, Games, CD's) are not burnt, they are stamped.

G

I am having this problem. I am on my 3rd xbox 360 elite with the 120 gb hard drive because of the red rings of death. The system that I have now is less than 6 months old and it won't play the game. I have no problems playing any other game. The great thing about it is that I called the wonderful support number listed above and was told that it would cost $119 to send my 360 to them and have it fixed. So I have to pay you $119 to play a game I just paid $65 for. I was not given an answer as to what the problem was or what they were going to do to my system to fix it. I told them no way!!! Worst customer service experience I have ever had. This is such a joke!!!

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]masterm40[/nom]4 shizzle i see the difference, I wonder statistically who buys more games pc gamers or console gamers?[/citation]
One thing is for sure, the practice of recuding the price for special "sale days" has seen some games increase by over 3000%.
With physical disks are almost impossible to do this kind of sales promotion, even though the potential boost to sales and revenue is proven to work.
As soon as the console makers, of all kinds, catch onto this simple fact and stop their ridiculous dependance on spinning optical media, the sooner games for consoles will drop in price and sell bucketloads more all at the same time.

And before people cry about not being able to sell the games disk on again afterwards, effectively killing the second hand games market, you wouldn't feel so hard done by if the game didn't cost $60 to start with.

Worried about the size of your hard drive? I have 35 games currently installed on the hard drive, occupying only 142Gb of space. A 250Gb drive on a PS3 or an Xbox 360 can do just as well.

So c'mon console makers, again the PC has shown you the way it should be done, step out of the 20th century and into the future and embrace digital distribution - and drop the optical disk.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]supertrek32[/nom]Some of the discs simply weren't burned correctly. When you go to burn tens of millions of discs, a few thousand aren't going to work. This happens with every major game release. MS has a very nice policy on it compared to some companies, though. They'll replace the disc for free.[/citation]

Bullshit. It's called testing the burn.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]estabya[/nom]I find it pretty amusing how every time there is an article on toms that has anything to do with console games there are people like michaelahess who get all high and mighty and think they are better than any console gamer just because they have a high end pc. Whose place is it to say that PCs are better than consoles, or that consoles are better than PCs? Nobody. Nobody can say that. It's completely subjective. So shut up about how one is better than the other. Personally I own a gaming PC, and all three major consoles of this generation. And I don't think I'm better than everyone else for being able to afford it. And I don't ever claim that one is any better than another. I choose which one to use at any given time based on what experience I am looking for at the time. And if I had to choose just one to have, I would probably pick !GASP! my PS3. Its not that I don't thoroughly enjoy my PC, I just spend more time on my PS3.So anyway moral of the story is quit your ignorant jabber about how PC gamers are better people or whatever the heck you are saying and just do what works for you![/citation]

I completely agree! (But PCs are better) :p

G

I've recieved the dirty disk error even after installing the game on my 20GB Xbox 360. It happened during co-op campaign so I guess the box doesn't jsut verify the game when playing, it musy access it every now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.