Hard Disk unable to be detected all of a sudden.

damienahl

Estimable
Sep 5, 2015
I'm not really sure what happened to my hard disk the other day , but it was working fine for quite a while until suddenly my hard disk simply couldn't be detected nor seen . Is there any ways to deal with this problem ? P.S. I'm not really that tech savy so yeah ....

D_Know_WD

Estimable
Hi there damienahl,

You really need to provide some more information on the issue. Is the drive internal or external one? Is this your OS drive?(in case it is you may need to attach it to another system)
You can start with something simple as just attaching the drive with different cables(USB if external and SATA and power ones if internal) to a different port.
After that, you can go to Disk Management and see whether and how is the drive recognized over there.
In case it is not, then it has most probably failed.
In case it is, but has damaged partitions or a file system, you may need to use some data recovery software.

I guess you can try testing it as well: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility

Cheers,
D_Know_WD

damienahl

Estimable
Sep 5, 2015

Sorry for the rather late reply , well from what i know , it's a internal one i suppose . and i tried putting my harddisk into another computer but it's also undetectable as well .

D_Know_WD

Estimable
Is it powering up? Can you hear it spinning? In case you can't, then it has failed. If the data stored on it is really important, you will need to contact a data recovery company in order to retrieve the data.

In case it is powering up, you need to go to Disk Management and see whether it is recognized over there. Again, if it is not, then it has most probably failed. If it is, you need to see whether it shows as having partitions and/or file system. Otherwise, it should show as unallocate, RAW, etc.

D_Know_WD

damienahl

Estimable
Sep 5, 2015

There's this slow clicking sound whenever i start up my pc with that hard disk , it goes like "click...click...click...click" and so on . So what do i have to do now ?

D_Know_WD

Estimable
That's not a good sign. :(
This indicates that the drive has some mechanical flaw. In that case, you will not be able to access it with software tools and recover the data by yourself.
In case there is really important data on the drive, you will need to look for some professional help.
If the drive is under warranty, you can just contact the place where you got it from and RMA it.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD