Hardware Acceleration Turned off yields better results?

Marco Lalvay

Estimable
Aug 3, 2014
So I've used Chrome for quite a while and after switching over to the Chrome 37 I found that it kept BSODing my computer. So I looked it up and all and some people found that hardware acceleration was going against their drivers. So i turned it off and so far it hasn't crashed but I noticed something odd as well; Chrome is running much much faster! Why is that? Wasn't the point of Hardware Acceleration to speed it up?

Solution

Yeah. reboot and run Display Driver Uninstaller and then install the latest stable 14.4 release or 14.7 beta release

Pinhedd

Distinguished

Probably a placebo effect, but if there was a driver conflict that resulted in BSoDs there's a good chance that there were other performance affecting consequences as well

Marco Lalvay

Estimable
Aug 3, 2014
It definitely wasn't a placebo, it was much much faster at loading videos and pictures. But i could agree with driver mess ups, any ideas how to find out what the driver conflicts might have been?

Pinhedd

Distinguished

The BSoD will usually provide some indication of which kernel module caused the crash. If it's a case of memory corruption though the crash may occur in a module other than the one that contains the bug though. The best approach is to simply perform a blanket driver update from all appropriate vendors.

Marco Lalvay

Estimable
Aug 3, 2014
After a quick look through it seems to be ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver somehow conflicting with Chrome. So I guess all that's left to do is boot in safe mode and uninstall and re install all my graphics drivers yes?

Pinhedd

Distinguished

Yeah. reboot and run Display Driver Uninstaller and then install the latest stable 14.4 release or 14.7 beta release

Solution

jesusfreak1968

Estimable
Oct 13, 2014

This is in response to your observation of Chrome running much faster after turning off hardware acceleration and why that is. I'm not an expert, but in trying to find out why Chrome is constantly crashing my laptop (high CPU usage when Chrome is in use, making the laptop sluggish to the extreme) found that the GPU process Chrome uses to render graphics seems to be my issue. Some have reported that by disabling hardware acceleration, Chrome runs smoother, faster so there must be a connection between the two. Here is a link I found that confirmed my issue and discusses this briefly, although I admit a lot of this info is over my head: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=385004. This is one of several pieces of information I read on this particular issue; I hope it gets fixed in a future update of Chrome.

FGT58

Prominent
Aug 10, 2017
The BSOD on Chrome appeared last night coincidental with Microsoft hijacking my PC for a force-fed update of windos 10. I have no doubt that they messed up something again. since this is my work PC, i have to put up with this dictatorial crap from MS.

So the workaround I found was to click on the home icon and it would reload correctly. The longer term workaround is to disable HW acceleration, which is really annoying since I am running a pretty high end PC with top notch Firepro graphics.

The personal solution has been to completely banish them from my home use. Long live Linux and Android!