Hardware problem with AMD Duron CPU and socket

guidochiesa1951

Prominent
Nov 12, 2017
Hello everybody.
I have this old notebook Acer Aspire 1300 and just as an exercise I am upgrading the CPU.
I managed to extract the old CPU and I noticed there was no thermal paste and that is probably why the fan was always running.
My problem is this: on extracting the old CPU I noticed that between the CPU and the socket there was a "plastic" sheet the size of the socket that acted , I supopose, as spacer.
But having the CPU often heated up, it was "cooked" and on extracting the CPU it broke.
I now have the new CPU but I do not know what to do.
Should I ignore the spacer?
It is only a very thin spacer but I guess if it was meant to be there it should be.
I only have half of the spacer in good condition but if I use it half of the CPU will not make contact with the socket.
Please help.
Thanks a lot and best regards

Solution
That is actually part of the socket, not just a spacer. The looks to be the part that would have locked the pins into the socket itself.

You could likely re-insert the CPU into the socket, but it won't be locked into place. You may also have some gap issues now in terms of mounting the heatsink properly.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
That is actually part of the socket, not just a spacer. The looks to be the part that would have locked the pins into the socket itself.

You could likely re-insert the CPU into the socket, but it won't be locked into place. You may also have some gap issues now in terms of mounting the heatsink properly.

Solution

guidochiesa1951

Prominent
Nov 12, 2017

I tried it. It is exactly as you say: thank you.
But, suppose I get a whole new "spacer" from an old mobo. Can you explain what I should do in order to fit it properly so that the CPU gets locked? Thanks