Hardware repair (smd resistor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

akestek

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017
I'm attempting a massive repair of a family member's gateway ne522. Ive already done a keyboard replacement, ordered a screen, fixed a hinge, and resoldered a loose component. There is a missing resistor (r2606) that i need to replace. Any idea what i need and where to get it from?
hSeBjZ.png

pnt0jCeLp

rmicrY.png

Solution
I see. yeah I have run into a lot of the same issue with such parts. Harder to find them in small quantity. Probably because so many just throw things out now and get new stuff, especially with boards. Wish I could tell you a better place to look.

akestek

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017
I wish I could but she's on a serious budget. Honestly it looked alot better after i cleaned it with some alcohol. Im pretty sure I figured out i need a 2k ohm resistor and its just for the thermal fan control, so not super critical. I just have no idea where I would get one. I dont have enough time to ship one from china. Where do professionals get their components from?

Where a 'pro' gets it, can't say. :) However, I have never really had trouble getting what I need doing a good search through say Google.

Now if you can find the cheapest is a bit of a hit or miss. Have to really do a good search. However, have you considered just contacting the manufacturer to make sure it is the right part? Even with it being out of warranty, you should be able to get them to tell you what the exact part you are needing is. Can't hurt to ask them. Better than doing more damage. :)

If anyone else has a suggestion on locating the best parts, please chime in.

akestek

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017
I had not tried to contact the manufacturer. I found the motherboard schematics online, but I kind of figured since its an older gateway that there probably wouldnt be much support for it. Its worth a shot though. Cant hurt to make sure. I have searched for the resistors online, but they seem to come in bulk and ship from afar. I only have roughly two weeks to come up with a repair. (I am just visiting for the holidays)

I see. yeah I have run into a lot of the same issue with such parts. Harder to find them in small quantity. Probably because so many just throw things out now and get new stuff, especially with boards. Wish I could tell you a better place to look.

Solution

akestek

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017
I ended up buying a dead laptop off of letgo and pulled a resistor off that board. Downside, it was a bit expensive for 1 resistor. Upside, it worked! Now I guess I have a bunch more components incase anything else breaks. Thanks for the help anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.