harman kardon soundsticks iii subwoofer to Receiver connection

deus4ko

Commendable
May 5, 2016
I have a Sony str-dn 850 receiver with surround speakers connected but no subwoofer. I do have some harman kardon soundsticks iii's which come with their own subwoofer. Is there a way to connect just the subwoofer to my receiver? Was concidering some options before I buy a separate subwoofer. Thanks

Solution
You can split the receiver subwoofer output with a y splitter (1 RCA male to 2 RCA female) and connect that to the input of the subwoofer with a cable that has two RCA plugs at the receiver and a 3.5mm stereo plug at the subwoofer.
Don't connect the sticks to the subwoofer.
The sub may not have enough output to work in your surround system so be careful not to over drive it into distortion.
You can split the receiver subwoofer output with a y splitter (1 RCA male to 2 RCA female) and connect that to the input of the subwoofer with a cable that has two RCA plugs at the receiver and a 3.5mm stereo plug at the subwoofer.
Don't connect the sticks to the subwoofer.
The sub may not have enough output to work in your surround system so be careful not to over drive it into distortion.

Solution

deus4ko

Commendable
May 5, 2016

Fantastic!! I'll give that a go and report back. However, my receiver already has 2 RCA outputs for the subwoofer connections, so i'm guessing I won't be needing the RCA y-splitter?

deus4ko

Commendable
May 5, 2016
Just an Update on my situation. I got a 3.5mm Headphone jack to 2 RCA cable, Connected the headphone jack to the Subwoofer ( Disconnected the speakers) and connected the 2 RCA ends to the 2 subwoofer inputs on the receiver.

Sadly it did not work (as americanaudiophile predicted it might not). No sound from the subwoofer whatsoever, ( I'm guessing a lack of power?)

I might just pick up something cheap of Amazon, saw a Pioneer S-21W for £85. Thanks though!!