Question Have desktop computers been abolished or am I on the wrong forum?

Mar 22, 2020
Have desktop computers been abolished or am I on the wrong forum? On my secondary system I have lost all executive privileges. Everything else on the system is working normally. I simply can't do ANYTHING that requires administrative privileges. Have tried everything I can find on the net. No luck! Help?

I'm as'suming you're running a Microsoft system and it's probably Windows 10. Stop here it's not the case.

If you're still reading, you have W10. Right click the Windows square in the bottom left corner of the screen, then click on Run. In the small form shows up, type
control
and hit the Enter key.

In the Control Panel, go to User Accounts and change your account to a Administrator account.. Restart the machine and you should your name as an Administrator.

Come back if that doesnt work for you.

Mar 22, 2020
I'm sorry. I should have mentioned I'm using Windows 7 Pro 64 and you're right what you suggested should work but I'm blocked from doing any and all the usual things like what you're suggesting. When I try anything that requires executive privileges, I always get the same result. For example, if I would try to install a new app or make a change like you suggested I get the same result. What happens is I get a dialogue box popping up asking me "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?". Then further down it says : "To continue, type an administrator password, and then click Yes". The problem is there is no place in the box to do so and consequently the "Yes" radio button is grayed out. It does exactly the same thing no matter what I try to do that requires executive privileges. On the other hand, everything else on the system works as normal. I've even tried such extreme things as going into the registry and turning off the UAC which it allows me to do but then the system turns it right back on. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems there must be a solution other than a complete reinstall.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Have desktop computers been abolished or am I on the wrong forum? On my secondary system I have lost all executive privileges. Everything else on the system is working normally. I simply can't do ANYTHING that requires administrative privileges. Have tried everything I can find on the net. No luck! Help?
Head over to Tom's Hardware for better coverage of desktops and Windows discussions.