Having Issues with Laptop shutting off

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Prophet171

Estimable
Sep 4, 2014
Hello, When i turn my computer on for the first time in the day. It will go about 3-20 minutes or so and then immediately shut off. When i re-boot it there is no error messages or saying why it shut off and everything runs fine and runs perfectly normal. I am wondering ways to troubleshoot so it does not do this initial shut off by itself when i boot it up for first time. It has only shut itself off twice before one time. Every other time it has just been once and then everything works fine after that. Any ideas? Please help.

Laptop is an Asus Republic of Gamers running windows 10 64bit
Intel i7- 3610QM 2.30 Ghz
Nvidia geforce 670M-3gig
16 gb ram

Prophet171

Estimable
Sep 4, 2014
Okay Core temp is reading all okay, Temps are all perfect on each core. I dont think its from overheating since it does it when it is cold. been off all night and most of day, then happens 5-20 mins on average once i boot it up and dont put any load on it. Usually havent even started doing anything. Then i can play an intense game all day after it does it once and its fine. It has done it twice only once, and it has turned off and turned itself back on only once also.

Prophet171

Estimable
Sep 4, 2014
Okay, zero i will try that. and let you know. Jarotech i would do that but i am not laptop savy, and would not know how to properly take out the wifi card out of a laptop. I only work on desktops.

Prophet171

Estimable
Sep 4, 2014
Also from the shutdown today when it happened i checked event viewer and there was critical error. Dont know if anyone can decipher what it means but i will post the info :

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 2016-02-16 2:50:38 PM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (70368744177664),(2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: DESKTOP-3OFPOLB
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>3</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-02-16T20:50:38.327664700Z" />
<EventRecordID>4496</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>DESKTOP-3OFPOLB</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
<Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Does this mean anything to anyone?

zer0c00l587

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016

Microsoft will tell you, to remove all overclocks, set bios to defaults, check for heating issue and ensure ram and all pci or pcie card are properly seated, also ensure if any pcie cards that require additional power via molex power cable from psu are attached. Also possible the psu cannot meet demands of pcie card needing additional power via molex cable from psu. So here you must connect or disconnect from psu depending on the situation with pcie.

If the above is not the case, then the psu power was interrupted thus the pc shut down, as result when windows checks and determine that the pc was not shut down correctly then EVENT ID 41 is displayed. This means the psu is failing or not powerful enough to support requirements.

Some report disabling sleep, and dont allow windows to turn off hard disks.....fixes the issue.

See the following video on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EywHwEcEHGw

Prophet171

Estimable
Sep 4, 2014
Okay all, update for everyone. yes zero i have reviewed all that and tried many things from it and nothing seemed to work. Jaro i have taken out battery before the initial bootup of the day of when it always will shut off once. Today it did not do it, so knock on wood. It is only running off of the Adapter which is fine by me i dont use my laptop mobile anyways i always have it plugged in. If this continues too work without the battery in the laptop then the issue will be resolved. Thank you very much for your help and i will keep you updated each day of what is going on.

Prophet171

Estimable
Sep 4, 2014
Okay Final update on the thread. Problem seems to be resolved, again knock on wood. But it is working fine now just running on the ac adapter being plugged in and battery removed. So the issue is the battery of the laptop. I always use my laptop plugged in so this is alright, dont need the battery installed. Thanks everyone for all the assistance and help on finding the problem and getting it fixed. Really appreciate it all.