Question Having trouble with laptop keyboard, stopped being able to press multiple keys at same time.

Dec 28, 2019
I use an HP Pavilion x360 Convertible to play video games sometimes. I recently found encountered a problem where I cannot press 2 and W at the same time. This also applies to 2 and S, 3 and E, and most of the vertical columns on my keyboard. The problem is generally associated with the column under any number, but also happens with certain letters in groups of 3, like W+E+D. In a game like Rainbow Six Siege, which uses all these keys, it pretty much cripples my movement haha.

Previously I was able to do this, and I noticed the problem immediately after it started happening. To add onto this, occasionally when I turn my laptop back on, I am able to use 2 and W together, (I used Keyboardchecker.com to make sure of this), until they stop working again.

Another point I noticed was that pressing a third key in the same column would make it work, for example, 2+W+S works, 3+E+D etc, but pressing only two does not work, like 2+S or 3+D.
I've updated my keyboard drivers, firmware drivers and checked if I installed/downloaded anything suspicious on the day I first had this problem, but nothing came out of it.
I'm fairly sure this is a hardware problem, and the keyboard's just showing its age, but I'm hoping to see if there's any solution to this that doesn't involve buying a new keyboard.

Did you try, instead of just updating, actually uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers?

To do so correctly you would uninstall the driver, reboot the computer (power it off and back on) without reinstalling the drivers and then left the computer reinstall them for you.

If that doesn't resolve it, then the only other options would be either using an external keyboard or replacing the attached one.

Dec 28, 2019
Did you try, instead of just updating, actually uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers?

To do so correctly you would uninstall the driver, reboot the computer (power it off and back on) without reinstalling the drivers and then left the computer reinstall them for you.

If that doesn't resolve it, then the only other options would be either using an external keyboard or replacing the attached one.

Tried that just now, didn't seem to work. Yeah, probably going to have to replace my keyboard.