HD 4000 or 4400 for arch drafting activities on an ultrabook

DellUser88

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
Hello.
The thread title almost says it all : i'm looking at buying an 13" ultrabook/notebook for the days when for whatever reason i'm away from my work desktop. It should be light and highly portable, more so than a standard 15 '" laptop.
It should be 13 inch display, non-touchscreen if possbile ( seen a lot of those ) , i3 or i5 and at least 4 gb ram.
Due to the fact that my budget goes up to about 600$/500e/400p, all of the devices that fit the above criteria have the intel hd4000 or hd4400 as graphical adapter. That MAY BE a problem because i want the device to run my design software which is a BIM type program like Revit ( in my case, Allplan from Nemetscheck ). Being a program in which i work with 3d models and spin/zoom them in the viewport, i'm thinking that the integrated graphics may be undepowered ( and that would translate into sluggish behaviour and that would be annyoing and unacceptable ).
Rendering , photo or video editing are obviously out of the question, i have the desktop for that.
So that's the question : is the intel integrated graphic adapter suitable or not for drafting in Revit - like software, on a 13" notebook display ?

Thanks.

Solution
It will work but not idealy. The good thing is that on a smaller laptop your resolution will be lower and that will ofset the lower video card power. Make sure to get an i5 though for the extra speed, and I would go with 8 or even 16gb of RAM.
It will work but not idealy. The good thing is that on a smaller laptop your resolution will be lower and that will ofset the lower video card power. Make sure to get an i5 though for the extra speed, and I would go with 8 or even 16gb of RAM.

Solution

DellUser88

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
I5 it is, althought i recall looking at a benchmark list with i5's and i3's mixed together and all over the place, because there are certain i3's that are better than some i5's it seems.

This being said, if anyone has a suggestion to make regarding a certain utlrabook , feel free to do so. I'll be very grateful.

There are many models of the i3 and i5, aside from there being several generations of them CPUs with the same model name, there are low voltage models for laptops, regular desktop ones, performance laptop ones, etc...