HD 598 Headphones have weird directional sound in game?

bingaloman

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
Hello,

I have read that open back headphones are good for gaming especially FPS because it allows us to pinpoint enemy footsteps with the bigger sound stage. But for some reason, when I use my HD 598 that I recently bought, the sounds are no where near accurate on my PS4 when playing FPS. I hear sounds that are like outside of the map and footsteps to my left when there is no one to my left. This is the same for other directions as well.

But when I plug in my closed back pair of Sennheisers, the footsteps and sounds are much more accurate and I can actually trust the sounds whether it's left, right, etc.

I was wondering why it was like this since I heard that open back are much more precise when trying to pinpoint directions since they have a bigger sound stage.

For music wise they are fine, just in gaming the directional sound is really weird for some reason.

I am using the Astro Mixamp by the way.

Does anyone know what the reason for this is?

Thanks!

bingaloman

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012

On the Astro Mixamp there is a button that turns on Dolby Digital Surround 7.1. Whether it is on or off I still hear gunfire like from outside of the map and sounds in all different directions that aren't accurate compared to my closed back.