perham3d

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
Hi and howdy.

My housemate is after a projector, preferably a HD one. Its for gaming as well as movies. Ive been looking around and found this on ebay (see below). However, im sceptical of the quality considering the price. Its not as if there is only one of them on ebay though, theres loads of them!

Just want a pro/semi-pro view on the mentioned projector. i.e is it worth it? or just best to stay away from it?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HDMI-HD-LCD-TV-ready-projector-AV-VGA-Video-1080P_W0QQitemZ250505980815QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a5351eb8f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_4319wt_1167

If you can help out with this question the ultra bonus points to you. But feel free to ignore this is im asking for too much. They have a price limit of £250 ($500) or near. Is this too optimistic to find a quality projector within that price range?

any help is greatly appreciated

Ben

Not only would I be skeptical because of the price, but also the fact that I cannot find a manufacturer name ANYWHERE. Additionally, on the listing you linked, they state that they include a second lamp as a spare (how nice of them) at no additional shipping fee (also very nice of them), but the do state you will be charged for the extra lamp and never state how much it costs (so much for being nice).

They state the lamp life is 6000 hours (or approx 3000 movies). I've had my projector going on three years and have yet to hit 1000 hours. At that rate, this projector would last me 18 years (36 with the included spare lamp). By that time, it will be so out dated, I'd have replaced it (making the spare bulb which I paid an undisclosed amount for, obsolete).

I think the old adage, "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is" fits here. The stated specs are about what I'd expect for a $600 projector. The fact that I can't find a manufacturer's page tells me not to believe the stated specs.

Too many things I don't like about this deal, so I'd definitely walk away.

-Wolf sends