Hdd caddy not working in optical drive

MianBao96

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016
Recently, i decided to add a ssd to my optical drive for installing windows(faster boot up). My dvd is 9.5mm with sata interface so i bought a 9.5mm hdd caddy and after i insert the caddy into the optical drive, the bios could detect it but it wouldn't show it in the desktop. Disk management also showed nothing about the new ssd i had insert. I know it is working because i could hear the hdd spinning sound. But it just not showing in the desktop. So I swap the primary hdd with the one in hdd caddy, same things happened again which is the hdd in primary slot works and secondary one is not working. The caddy is working fine because i test it in my friend's laptop, it could be detected. The dvd drive is working normally when i put it back. Already tried reconnect the caddy again and again but no avail. Now i have run out of solution, can anyone help me?

Laptop model: Lenovo ideapad 305 15ibd
Primary slot: 1tb hdd
Secondary slot(optical drive): 120gb samsung evo 850
Problem: primary slot could be detect but not the one in the optical drive(still can be detected in bios)

Solution
Many laptops now only support optical drives in the drive bay. Did you confirm that an SSD would work before buying all that?

MianBao96

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016

I forgot to confirm it. my bad. I thought it would work on any laptop so I just bought it without thinking. Now I use my ssd on the main slot and my 1tb hdd for external. Next time i will confirm it before attempting. Now my laptop boot blazing fast. Thanks for the advice:)